Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Taurus PT709 Slim review.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus PT709 Slim review.

Here is a brief review of my new Taurus PT709 Slim. I picked up the pistol as a carry piece for shorts/t-shirt type weather, and as a backup all other times. I got it at a gun store just outside of Ft. Stewart for $380. It’s called the “Bulldog Kit.” It came with a soft-ish case, POS soft holster, two 7rd magazines, a bore brush and a very nice manual. I took it out today and got the adjustable 3 dot sights lined up at 25 yards, then moved in for various drills. I was using Winchester white box. I fired moving forward, backward, side stepping, doping to a knee, rushing forward and backward in diagonals ect. I also practiced my speed reloads from my front pocket where I’ll most likely carry my spare. The mags drop free nicely, and the fresh ones seat very well with a reassuring “click.” The mag well is beveled just enough so you don’t have to fumble around. I do have to shift my grip to send a fresh mag home, because the frame is so small, but it’s not extreme. The mag release is a little small, but easy to find quickly, in my case with my shooting hand middle finger(I shoot left handed). The gun also has an external safety, but I can’t get it off consistently left handed, so I’ll carry with it off. The trigger has a good amount of take up, but once you figure it out it’s all good. Once the slack is up, the trigger is firm, but breaks nicely. Reset is short and easily felt, with minimal slack afterward. I burned through 200 rounds of the WWB, and a mag worth of Cor-Bon Pow’r’Ball. I experienced no malfunctions what so ever. Accuracy is good, even out to 25 yards, and recoil is manageable. I’ll be stippling the grip a little to help keep it secure in less than ideal conditions. I also need to find a good IWB holster for it, or maybe try out a Clip Draw on it. Other than that though, it’s good to go. Here are a few pictures.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I'll bet you I shop at that same store just outside Ft Stewart...

Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations and thanks for a great report.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #4

Here's the stipple job. I also found out that the mag release is reversable, it was a pain though.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'll assume it was 100% reliable?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #6

Default I Like That !

Very Nice ! I almost bought one of them in 40 S&W but went home with the new Millennium instead. Im a pretty big guy and the Millennium wasn't much bigger and held 10 + 1 . I still may get the slim in 9mm one day though.
Good Luck with your new Watch !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #7

Watch? Did I miss something? And I too considered the .40. My Glock's are all .40s, so I figured it'd work out well. Having fired the 9mm though, I'm glad I didn't. I think the .40 would be too snapy for quick shots in a pistol this small.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I'll assume it was 100% reliable?
"I experienced no malfunctions what so ever."

Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #9

Default holsters for 709

I carry the 709 a lot. Finding holsters made specifically for it is difficult so far but check out holsters made for the Glock. The 709 is thinner than the Glock but the general layout is very, very similar. A deeper leather holsters will work well. I got a Crossbreed for mine and I love it!

Also, the safety/decocker can be used to decock the striker and thus put the Slim into double action mode, which lengthens the trigger pull for additional safety. That and using the best safety--your brain, will do until someone comes up with an ambi- decocker/safety.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason