Taurus Judge

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Taurus Judge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Taurus Judge

I went shooting today with a friend and his boss, who owns the gunshop where I get most of my guns. He brought my new Judge, I still can't take it home, but he can legally take it out of the store for testing. That was very nice of him, and he even brought two boxes of free ammo!

We had a bunch of different guns and ammo to try out, but I'll focus on the Judge. This is my first experience with a new Taurus gun, I've fired some owned by friends, but I've never owned one. I'm a Smith fan, and I admit to having a bias against Taurus.

I was pleasently surprised by the fit and finish, it's a well made gun. Pretty in its own unique way. I tried it with some .410 birdshot and .45 Colt ammo (Magtech, 250 grain). The double action was really smooth, very nice right out of the box. And the grip felt very comfortable in my hand.

I expected a stout recoil from the reviews I'd read, but it was quite light. Double taps with both .410 and .45 were easy. It's a very pleasent gun to shoot.

At five meters, the spread of #7 and #3 shot (couldn't get my hands on anything else) was enormous, it was all over the target. It looks like it might be devastating on small game and snakes at close range, I certainly wouldn't use those loads on people.

The accuracy with .45 Colt was good, considering all the unrifled chamber space the bullet has to go through. It's a beautiful caliber, and it would be my choice for social situations. While the sights aren't ideal for accurate target work, they are really fast to pick up and are good enough for defensive use. This was my first time using a fiber optic front sight, I don't think it's all that great. Regular revolver sights work well enough for me.

The groups in the pictures are at 15 meters, 2 cylinders (10 shots). Not bad considering I'd only slept an hour last night and I worked in the morning before hitting the range.

All in all I'm happy with the gun and its quality. We had other Taurus wheelguns to try out, and I must admit they were good. Definitely worth a look. I tried a seven shot ultralight .38 that was excellent. They are building some quality revolvers. I need to try out some more .410 loads. So far it seems like it would make a decent trail gun.

I also took my P14-45 with me and once again confirmed that the 1911 platform is proof that there is a God and he loves us.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

More crappy quality gun pics.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Great report, Francisco. I would look at hunting slugs for the .410. Expanders. How long of a .410 round will it hold?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Great report, Francisco. I would look at hunting slugs for the .410. Expanders. How long of a .410 round will it hold?
It holds 2,5" shells. There's a new model that uses the 3" ones. I thought about slugs, but for a single solid projectile the .45 seems better, it's twice as much lead as a .410 slug.

I'm itching to try out some 000 buckshot, with such a low recoil and fast follow up shots, it should be easy to put three of those on target very quickly.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Good range report Francisco and a very nice and respectable shot group for 15 yards. Them Judges are fun to shoot. (The handgun, not some court judge, although.......)

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Good range report Francisco and a very nice and respectable shot group for 15 yards. Them Judges are fun to shoot. (The handgun, not some court judge, although.......)

Jack
The Judge sure is fun to shoot.

I tried at least six different weapons on this range trip, and while it's loads of fun, I feel it messes with my accuracy. The gun is capable of more, I didn't try it in single action since the DA trigger pull was so comfortable.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #7

Very nice report. I dont like the look of it, but the ability to shoot 410 and 45LC has turned my head. I wouldnt mind shooting it.

S.S.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm glad you're happy with it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #9

I like shooting Buffalo Bore Standard 255g loads in 45 colt and i like the New Federal buckshot loads in mine, i also have some Georgia Arms 200g gold-dots that shoot well in mine, alot of people don't like this gun but for a up close defense weapon any of the loads i have mentioned will put down a BG.
some say its not accurate but it is not target gun, for what it is designed for it works fine IMO.

"In God We Trust"

Old 09-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstchewy View Post
I like shooting Buffalo Bore Standard 255g loads in 45 colt and i like the New Federal buckshot loads in mine, i also have some Georgia Arms 200g gold-dots that shoot well in mine, alot of people don't like this gun but for a up close defense weapon any of the loads i have mentioned will put down a BG.
some say its not accurate but it is not target gun, for what it is designed for it works fine IMO.
I haven't been able to test mine thoroughly since, like the gun shop owner and I anticipated, the nice guys at the federal gun registry are taking their sweet time to get the paperwork done. It usually takes a week from the time the first forms are filled, so far it's been more than ten days and they haven't even let us submit the bloody forms yet.

(canto XII, st. 6)