Taurus 709 Slim - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Taurus 709 Slim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, the 75 compact or Rami which were my first choices are $200 more than the 709. My wife will teach me how to post pictures soon. When the slim gets back, I'll see if they fixed it. If not, I think I'll trade it for the Bersa 9 uc.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 82 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
It will never shoot like my CZ-75, but then again, nothing does.

You got that right!!! I've got over 5,000 rounds through my CZ75B, and I've never had a single problem.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #13

Ive read about the xtractor problems with the first releases of the 709, im interested in one ,how about a post when you get it back ,about taurus service etc thanks.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was really interested in one of these for my wife after reading an article in both Guns & Ammo and The American Rifleman. We drove all over Augusta looking for one to handle, but only found one. Most shops couldn't keep them in the case. I really liked it for it's Glock-ness and the fact that it had a safety. The spring was just really tight for a 9mm, and my wife had trouble charging it. We settled on the Sig P238. I am interested in one though. Be sure and let us know what Tarus has to say about the problem. Also, forgive my ignorance, but what does DOA mean? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 82 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
Also, forgive my ignorance, but what does DOA mean? Thanks.
Pathology Term, DOA: Dead On Arrival

Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When used in reference to a trigger?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
I was really interested in one of these for my wife after reading an article in both Guns & Ammo and The American Rifleman. We drove all over Augusta looking for one to handle, but only found one. Most shops couldn't keep them in the case. I really liked it for it's Glock-ness and the fact that it had a safety. The spring was just really tight for a 9mm, and my wife had trouble charging it. We settled on the Sig P238. I am interested in one though. Be sure and let us know what Tarus has to say about the problem. Also, forgive my ignorance, but what does DOA mean? Thanks.
DAO means double action only. Usually refers to a hammerless gun. I think I said DOA in my original post. Sorry. My first experience with DAO was a few years ago with a S&W Sigma. I traded it quickly on the CZ and my life has been different ever since. I thought it would be ok on a small, conceal carry piece and I was pleased with the accuracy. I've been away from the post for a while and I just got my Taurus back today. It was gone about 4 weeks and Taurus paid for Fed Ex both ways and of course the repair. Other than that I'd have to say their customer service is the worst I've ever dealt with. I haven't fired it yet but they claim, on a small work order sent back with my gun, to have replaced the extractor and fixed the problem. All things considered, I wish I had gotten the Bersa. I'll let everyone know if the problem is fixed after this weekend.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been unable to get out. I will try to fire a few rounds this weekend. I'm very curious about hollow points and personal defense type rounds especially. Don't know yet.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Taurus 709 slim repaired

Finally back from the range with my 709. Sorry it has taken so long. Taurus sent my gun back about 3 weeks ago after replacing the extractor. On, the phone, they acted as if they were shocked I was having problems. The one guy who actually spoke with me, that is. Any way, it seems to have fixes the problem. I fired six magazines with a mixture of two types of federal loads. 115 grain and 124 grain. I didn't shoot any fancy ammo as my firearms budget is about depleted for the winter. But, 42 rounds fired and nary a hiccup. I'm still struck by how accurate this little, DAO pistol is. I've only fired a couple hundred rounds out if it so it may still work in a little. But, as I stated in the original post, once I adjusted the sight for elevation, it hit the center of the target every time I fired correctly. It has a longer trigger pull than I'm used to but that is to be expected. So, it's not unusuall for my first shot to be a couple of inches low, but when I pay attention, I can put all 7 in a 2.5 x 2.5 group from 25 feet while firing all in 5 seconds. That's a lot better than I ever thought it would be when I bought it. It's just a lot more accurate than I would have imagined. Now that it is, appearantly, past its failures to eject and feeds quite smoothly, I would have no problem recomending it as a CCW. It fits the bill in every category. The only drawback is the 7 round cap. Which doesn't bother me but might be a problem for some. The "slim" wouldn't be as slim with a double stack mag. I say that is its only problem, but Taurus's poor,poor customer service is hard to get over. They did fix the problem and got the gun back to me in about a month which is not bad. But, if anyone here has spoken to them or dealt with them, I think you understand why I don't like 'em. Maybe I just like for my Customer folks to act like they care. Maybe I'm a sucker for a little PR but I've had much better dealings, personality wise, from CZ, Ruger, Bersa even S&W. While I would recomend the gun, all things considered, don't expect any warm fuzzies from the people who make it. Next, I'll try to budget for the Bersa uc 9. I've heard good things about both the full size and the compact and I know from my .380 that Bersa makes a solid gun and their customer service is fine. Well folks, sorry again that it took so long.
buckfynn Likes This