Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Targets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/targets-56748/)

Hlander 02-01-2012 02:54 AM

Targets

I currently shoot paper and dirt. I would like to start having at least one metal target but I realize I need hard steel to do so safely. They make 500 brinell steel targets but they are very expensive, I was wondering if anyone knew where you could buy some 500 brinell steel that is not already made into a target? I am assuming this would cut down the price quite a bit, the target company would not be getting there cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Powersportgiant 02-01-2012 03:02 AM

I picked up some AR500 steel targets off eBay. There is a reputable guy on there selling. Well worth the money spent for .22 long rifle and handguns. Larger caliber rifles need longer distance to not damage the target.

Hectocotylus 02-01-2012 04:48 AM

I have some discs from a farmer that are hardened steel. 12 gauge slug barely makes a dent 7.62 x 54 makes a good dent and .22 does absolutely nothing. Haven't tried anything else yet but it is a free steel target!

danf_fl 02-01-2012 09:33 AM

Does it have to be metal? There are numerous polymer targets available that do not cost as much as metal.

Though they will not respond with a "clang", there are some that react in interesting manners.

Hlander 02-01-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 695973)
Does it have to be metal? There are numerous polymer targets available that do not cost as much as metal.

Though they will not respond with a "clang", there are some that react in interesting manners.

I could try the polymer targets, do you have a brand or type that you recommend?

Hlander 02-01-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectocotylus (Post 695807)
I have some discs from a farmer that are hardened steel. 12 gauge slug barely makes a dent 7.62 x 54 makes a good dent and .22 does absolutely nothing. Haven't tried anything else yet but it is a free steel target!

Plow discs?

The_Kid 02-01-2012 11:18 AM

My strongest steel targets are leaf springs. They are not very big, and hard to cut; but a 30-06 at 100 yards doesn't scratch them.

Hlander 02-01-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Kid (Post 695995)
My strongest steel targets are leaf springs. They are not very big, and hard to cut; but a 30-06 at 100 yards doesn't scratch them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkSlJXL5CTg

Thanks, I will be shooting the targets with 7.62x39, 223, and 7.62x54 so it will need to be somewhat strong. Thanks for the suggestion.

TCH2FLY 02-01-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlander (Post 695717)
I currently shoot paper and dirt. I would like to start having at least one metal target but I realize I need hard steel to do so safely. They make 500 brinell steel targets but they are very expensive, I was wondering if anyone knew where you could buy some 500 brinell steel that is not already made into a target? I am assuming this would cut down the price quite a bit, the target company would not be getting there cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try local scrap metal yards, you might be able to get some small pieces of AR400 or 500 on a budget (ask if you can work it off by doing odd jobs).
I know that pre-cut steel targets aren't cheap but cutting/drilling that stuff isn't easy (avoid torches as it damages the hardness of the steel). Try Big Dog Steel in OH. His prices include shipping and he has some "economy" targets that might work for your budget. Remember good targets will last a long time so think of it as an "investment " ;)

Hectocotylus 02-01-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlander

Plow discs?

Yes they are plow discs I thought I would give them a shot and they are great for a free target