Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Targets? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/targets-29218/)

pagj17 07-11-2010 05:40 AM

Targets?

Since I can't really figure a better place to put this,
What do you guys do to post your targets. usually I use steel stakes... but My 8mm And AR kinda... bent 2 of 'em and yeah. My friend's and I kinda have an idea in which I use something such as safety wire or Eye Hooks to suspend the target from a PVC frame with stakes holding it to the ground... what about ya'll?

danf_fl 07-11-2010 06:01 AM

I use a PVC base that has a "T" to hold 1"X1"X5' boards. Holes drilled in PVC allow it to have spikes for anchoring.

pagj17 07-11-2010 07:25 AM

Hmmmm. Sounds like it might work. Can't quite envision it but... I think i like how it sounds... hmmm

danf_fl 07-11-2010 09:15 AM

Bird's eye view...H... Use 4 "T's". 2 for the center line of PVC and 2 upright for the boards. Have the rear projection a little longer than the front.

c3shooter 07-11-2010 12:53 PM

Any two vertical uprights- with an upper and lower crossbar. I use rebar, but you could use PVC, 2x2s, etc. Wrap with chicken wire. Attach tagets to chicken wire with clothespins.

Of course, any of the video store stand-up cardboard advertising figures of Jane Fonda, Barbra Striesand, or Michel Moore do just fine. Do not use John Wayne or Chuck Norris- or they'll kick your ass.

Poink88 07-11-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 313444)
Bird's eye view...H... Use 4 "T's". 2 for the center line of PVC and 2 upright for the boards. Have the rear projection a little longer than the front.

What he said but you can also have the bird's eye view of a rectangle or "U"

Option for stake, you can also stabilize it with sandbags or rocks. You don't have to haul sandbags with you...just the bag and a folding shovel. Fill it on site and dispose content when done.

DrumJunkie 07-11-2010 03:46 PM

I built frames from 2x4 with scrap paneling or cardboard about 24"x36". I stable man targets to that I use those for times pistol drills. Three targets with two rounds in each in under 6 seconds. Change the order of what target when and it can get pretty fun trying ot score the target well.

22 rifle (well..most rifles) I have big pieces of cardboard and depending on the distance will glue aspirins, peppermints or other fun little things. Aspirin at 50 yards with a 22 is a lot of fun. The peppermints at 100+ (depending on the rifle) gets challenging as well. I have a bunch of scrap roof tin that I like to tape x's on to use at ranges out to 200 yards. That's about as long as I can get here at the home range. It's pretty hilly around here and getting real long shots just doesn't happen much unless you move a lot of dirt.

If you run into any of those for same signs they use in front of houses those make great stands. I have a Realtor friend that gave me a few older kind of rusty ones that where going to get pitched. My favorite targets though are old dead hard drives. I work on computers adn usually always have a stack of them laying around. An AR will punch a hole right through one and not make a mess...Well..Too much a mess.:D

pagj17 07-12-2010 08:11 AM

C3 Shooter.... I like your Idea(with a capitol I) on Hanoi jane. I lost me a cousin in Vietnam... my grandma's still torn up over it 40 something years later... I didn't even get to meet him(I'm just 20 or so years too young) so she pisses me the **** Off. Same with Comrad Moore.

and Me shoot The Duke? hahahahaha that's funny.

thanks Danf_fl, Drum Junkie, and Poink.

Not sure what I'm gonna do... but I'll def incorporate the ideas...

spittinfire 07-12-2010 10:34 AM

My dad gets transmissions shipped in all the time so we just stand the pallets upright and tape or staple targets to them. A pallet lasts a long time and when you're done blasting it, just burn what's left and grab a new one.

pagj17 07-12-2010 12:34 PM

Nice... I could always "borrow" some from the former Wal-Mart of mine:) NOT lol.
I think I'll just mak an upside down, flat bottomed U for hanging the targets, and an I for the base with It attaching to the "stalk" of the I