Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Target Stand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default Target Stand

So now that I'm shooting at an outdoor range I realized I needed a target stand. Because scavenging at the range for a backdrop to support my targets sucks! I put some thought into it, analyzed the logistics and came up with an idea. What you see here is a result of intense research and development, massive amounts of resources and ..... beer!

What I needed had to be portable because my 500yd range is not in my backyard. Portability then necessitated that it be lightweight - I mean who the hell wants to lug around 100lbs of target stand? So I decided that pvc would do the trick. Now that I had that detail figured out I remembered that I own a TJ - how the hell can I fit a target stand in that? Well wouldn't you know it that my genius solved that little problem too - make it in multiple components. Man am I friggin smart or what?

I went over to Chateau de Depot and perused the pvc piping. I was initially looking for 2" but settled on 1 1/2". Why you ask? Well the Depot just didn't have all the parts I needed in 2" that's why! I grabbed what I needed, I even grabbed some accessories that would make my stand ultra tactikool and better than your stand!

Here's a list of materials,
(9) pieces of 2' 2" pvc sched 40 (remember I own a TJ so 2 10's was not an option)
(4) 90deg elbows
(2) WYE's
(2) 90deg sweeps
(2) female threaded couplings
(2) plugs - not installed yet as the Depot was out of them
(4) 45deg elbows
PVC primer and glue
(2) large cardboard boxes
(4) 2" velcro straps - i had these left over from another toy project - apparently 2" straps cut into the ladies skin too much.
(1) 2' length of stickie backed velcro

Mash all of that up and what do you get? This,

1. First I assembled the base legs - and wouldn't you know it it was on this part that I made my first and only mistake. I should have started drinking sooner! These will separate from the upper portion of the stand allowing it to lay flat in the back of my TJ.
s5031855.jpg

s5031852.jpg

2. Then I assemble the lower portion of the upper stand. I added a cross brace at the bottom to help with stability - hence the reason for the 90deg sweeps.
s5031854.jpg

3. Then I assembled the top portion and the top bar. I "arched" the top crossbar to prevent/minimize sag. Although I don't think this will be an issue until i use a wood backdrop.
s5031856.jpg

4. In order to ease assembly/dis-assembly I put a healthy drop of gun oil on the WYE fitting shoulder. This allows the base legs to slip in and out and even allow for adjustment on uneven terrain (to a certain degree).
s5031857.jpg

So now your asking yourself "I wonder what happened to the cardboard and velcro?". Well just relax a damn minute and I'll get it to it! Jeez!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2010, 02:59 AM   #2

Default continued

Here is what happened to the velcro and cardboard,

1. I installed the 2" straps o the top and bottom crossbars. I cut up the 2" stickie backed velcro and applied them to the backs of the cardboard.
s5031860.jpg

2. So now all I need to do is pack this baby up, bring her to the range, set her up, velcro on my backstop and affix my targets.
s5031861.jpg

Here are some detailed pics,
s5031862.jpg

s5031863.jpg

Now if there are any Gov't procurement folks reading this I have a special offer for you. I can supply these beauties at the nominal cost of $1499 each, minimum order of 100,000 units.

Oh I almost forgot. If any of you decide to use this information for your own gain, remember one thing above anything you have read here ..... do not forget the beer!
s5031859.jpg

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 09-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That looks pretty neat. I built the much simpler one in the DIY forum. I'm a simple man.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

That looks awesome. What happens when you have a flyer and it hits the stand? If I built something like that it would be all crooked and twisted.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
That looks pretty neat. I built the much simpler one in the DIY forum. I'm a simple man.
It may have been the beer, it may not have. I don't know, i'm not a doctor. But I was looking for the DIY section and your post for 2 days and couldn't find it before I decided on just doing my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
That looks awesome. What happens when you have a flyer and it hits the stand? If I built something like that it would be all crooked and twisted.
What's a flyer? Our range has a nice dirt mound out around 100yds. So I shoot into that for a few rounds to get the scopes dialed in close then move on to the paper. By the end of 10rds I've got her set. The stand is just over 2' wide and the backer is about 16" wide. Hopefully I won't send anything that far off but you never know. If the pvc gets hit it shouldn't be all that hard to cut in a coupling.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll let you all know how she performs later today when I hit the range.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Search works unless you search for something like pud or hk because your an idiot.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/how-build-cheap-pvc-target-stand-31108/

Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #7

Default Be prepared!

I built a stand similar to "Drriley"s using a 2'x4' piece of corrugated plastic acquired from a sign shop to support the targets themselves. I also cut extra side and top pieces to replace the damage that will happen when you do get that "flyer" -also some extra T's and other fittings are recommended (that too will happen!)

Last bit of advice, in the feet of the stand, drill some holes so that 6" nails can be used to anchor it to the ground on windy days. That target makes a great sail. And if it's not a solo range, you would have to wait and stare at your gun until "range cold" is called before you can go down and stand the target frame back up--and it will probably blow down again.

upright1.jpg   frame1.jpg  

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Man you boys need to be more accurate with your shooting.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #9

Default Yea--but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Man you boys need to be more accurate with your shooting.
This may very well be true, but considering that not all my shooting is "Bench rest" with bolt action rifles. Rather it also includes rapid, defensive-style deployment of semi-auto weapons, both rifle and pistol, an occasional "oops" is not that surprising. That is why I planned for easily replaceable parts.

And that's the rest of the story.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

At the last gun show. there was a guy there with portable spinner targets. They were made like the PVC stands, but made out of metal pipe. The spinners hooked on the top crossbar. They looked easy to transport and a little more versatile than the PVC stands.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....