Target Selection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Target Selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default Target Selection

Well, it's off to the range to check out a new target idea. I was at Family Farm and Home and found this Osmundson 1/4 "Ducksfoot S-tine Sweep OK-4. I figured to drive two steel posts in to the ground about 2-feet apart and hang the tine center with para-cord.

It should work like the gongs, but at a much lower price. I paid $.99 for each post, $5.00 for the para-cord, and $2.99 for the tine. Since the tine is 1/4" steel it could be used for a very long time.

image.jpg  

Last edited by Ranger-6; 05-03-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Well, it's off to the range to check out a new target idea. I was at Family Farm and Home and found this Osmundson 1/4 "Ducksfoot S-tine Sweep OK-4. I figured to drive two steel posts in to the ground about 2-feet apart and hang the tine center with para-cord.

It should work like the gongs, but at a much lower price. I paid $.99 for each post, $5.00 for the para-cord, and $2.99 for the tine. Since the tine is 1/4" cast it could be used for a very long time.
Chain?

I needed mine to be removeable so I've a 7' wrought iron Shepards Hook bird feeder ($10). I'm hanging one of those small self healing plastic orange things ($25), with a foot of chain ($3), and a couple of chain linking things ($2), for a reactive target. I wish I thought about visiting 'Tractor Supply'.

Yours beats mine by $30!

I don't how cast is different from rolled. Let us (me) know how it works.

Last edited by Vincine; 05-02-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
...I don't how cast is different from rolled. Let us (me) know how it works.
Yea, after looking at it, it looks like a steel stamping blade, made in Brazil.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Here it is: I went to the range and set up shop to shoot the 4595TS Hi Point carbine at the Ducksfoot S-tine Sweep. As predicted the ParaCord did not hold. While smacking the Sweep around with .45 FMJ bullets the sharp edges around the mounting hole cut the ParaCord.

Some sort of link and length of chain will be designed. I was shooting at 25 and 30 yards and the Sweep only had splatter marks. No bullet went thru nor did the Sweep crack.

The Sweep was hung between two 5/16" iron fence poles, 24-inches apart, 2-feet off the ground, with the shaped spade angle down and towards the rear for deflection.

No ricochets back towards the shooting bench was experienced. It was a good, safe shoot; I am going to get a few more to use, but a little larger ones.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

Ranger-6: I like the idea If you check with some of the farmers in your area and ask nicely they may let you have the old ones they have replaced on the implements for free or little of nothing