Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > target pic, and couple questions/thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default target pic, and couple questions/thoughts

so i headed to the range wednesday afternoon. it was chilly at 47 degrees, very little wind. but i was still more than ready to pull the trigger. i took my marlin.22, winchester model 70 chambered in .308, and my mosin 91/30.

my .22 performed great as it always does. most all shots under 1 1/2 in at 50yards. fired about 75 shots or so.

moved along the line, with these two rifles i alternated to give my barrels at least a little cool down time in between. i would fire three to four shots from each rifle then switch to the other, with a total of twenty rounds per each.
ive never fired my mosin at this range for much more than fun however i would like to practice alot this summer so i can use it for deer season.
my .308 has been my deer rifle for several years now. last year it got a new bushnell elite 3200 scope..

now granted i had coffee that morning and i know i have not practiced as much as i should but i was really hoping my .308 would of performed better.

in your opinion, do you think besides my flyers, that my main group was low to the left. should that warrent a scope adjustment or could it be something i am doing that is putting my shots to the left. side note. when shooting my pistols i sometimes hit more left too. im not concerned to much with elevation as 100 yards is about the longest shot oportunity i have where i hunt. once in awhile there is a 250yrd shot into the some fields but not often.

but then with my mosin, i was to the right. not as tight a group but by far there is a definite hit area. and its not near the center. how should ior can i adjust my mosins sights. i looked but only found elevation on the rear sight.

ideas? concerns? need more info? please let me know

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The .308 target looks like the result of a trigger control issue to me.
The only feasible way to adjust for windage on an as issued Mosin is to drift the front sight. This can be accomplished with a jury rigged c-clamp or a brass punch and mallet.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Are you shooting off a rest? If you are shooting off a rest and holding a consistant picture, I would make sure your ring and mounting
screws are all tight. Are you by any chance flinching? It looks like you could tap the front sight on the mosin slightly to the right. You have to do everything exactly the same every shot. The way you hold the gun, the way you squeez the trigger, where you rest the gun on the rest (usually about half way between the mag and the ft sling swivel.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill