Alrighty so I got out to the range this afternoon with my stand and brought out my STAG AR15. The weather was nice and comfortable, a little on the humid side, overcast with no breeze. To start I got myself dialed in at 50yds first, then moved out to 75yds and finished the day at 100yds.
50 and 75yds - Federal 223 55gr
the top left target is where I started and I put 10rds at it. At first I started high and left but then I worked my way in. I managed to put 4 of the last 5rds within the center of the target. I hit within the target areas on turns #2 and #3 but then got sloppy on #4 at 75yds. I was able to get back within the target area on turn #5, again at 75yds.
100yds - Remington 223 55gr
Nothing to pat myself on the back about here but not terrible either I think. The 5rds in the first pic out of the target areas are not flyers, just poor shots by me. In the 2nd pic I managed to stay within the target area a little better but still nothing to brag about.
100yds - reloads from another shooter - 223 55gr
Another shooter at the range had his own reloads and offered me a mag to try. At first I was high, as seen in the upper left target, but again I was able to work my way into the target area.
Of the 3 types of ammo I used today I like the reloads best - go figure
. Between the Federal and the Remington I liked the Federal better. I felt I had more control on the follow up shots and they didn't feel to have as much recoil. Some more rounds down range and I'll get a better idea.
A couple things I took notice regarding my shooting,
1. Stock - My stock and cheek rest are probably set too far back. I feel like I have to strain forward to much in order to get a good sight with the scope. I'll need to look up the eye relief distance and then check it against the stock position. This won't be difficult to adjust if needed.
2. Scope - I might try setting the scope on a riser. Again this is a comfort issue as I feel I am straining to much to keep my eye down far enough to get a good sight.
3. Front grip - I like it and it is a very solid unit but I don't feel it is helping me trying to get accuracy at the range. I think a good sandbag would be more beneficial to improve accuracy.
4. Breathing - i don't know why but it sucked today, usually I don't have a problem with it. I just never felt relaxed and seemed too tense and wasn't able to get my breathing fully under control. This I'll have to consciously work on and improve.
5. Trigger - JD had advised me to get a RRA 2 Stage when I was putting the lower together and I have to give him props, I love it. It is very smooth and breaks crisply.
Overall I feel pretty good considering this is only the 2nd time I've got to shoot my AR15. Ultimately my goal is to be able put 5rds within the target center. I have all the confidence that the rifle is capable, now it's up to me to improve as a shooter.