Suggestions at the Range - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Suggestions at the Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfusatf View Post
Can anyone suggest some good ideas for practice at the range with a AR. What do you guys practice at the range? How far, I start at 36 yards then 50 up to 100. Should I practice with my iron sights more than my scope?
The training courses I've attended with my AR-15 had courses of fire that went from close contact out to 200 yds. Hostage taker head shots at 7 yds, regular head shots at 15 and 25 yds, center of mass shots at 25, 50, 100, and 200. These are shot from the various ready positions, all under a time restraint. Don't forget your type 1, 2, and 3 malfunction clearance drills, along with emergency and tactical magazine reloads. If you wish, you are welcome to browse an after action report of my last Practical Rifle course.
orangello Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #12

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Thank you, this is what I'm looking for, AR-15 training.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #13

If you have any specific questions, give me a shout. I'll do my best to answer them.
DrFootball Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #14

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks doing some searching online for training classes, prices range from $200 for 8 hour class or $475, two day class 16 hours total. If I send you the links maybe you can send your comments. I'm a new AR owner with 1000 rounds under my belt and 3000 round with my .22 AR. Thanks again...John
image-3831630169.jpg  

Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Most people with AR's (and similar guns) at the local range where I shoot practice seeing how far their empty brass will eject. It seems that the more intrusive they can be and the more people they can hit with their flinging empty brass, the better.
ct
Don't stand that close to them. Problem solved.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default So Front sight was good??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
If you have any specific questions, give me a shout. I'll do my best to answer them.
the DW & I were considering this,..but the added cost of Lodging(pet friendly) made it tough even though we are only a few hrs. Drive away...Getting a Course lead by a GUNSITE rangemaster turned out to be cheaper...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #17

I started training at Front Sight about 7 years ago. I go once or twice a year with my range buddy, who has been a member longer than I. My cost is ammo, the drive to FS, and the motel room. The later two, when split with my buddy, makes it quite cost effective. I don't pay for the classes.

I enjoy the training. I don't like the guy that owns the company, but then again, he doesn't teach any of the classes so I tolerate that. The instructors are dedicated and do it because they like teaching, not because they get the big instructor paycheck.

I'm heading up the 1st week of September for a 2 day handgun skill builder and a 2 day AR-15 skill builder. It will be a warmer than I prefer but those two classes, back to back, don't come up very often on the schedule. I leave Phoenix on a Thursday and come back the following Tuesday.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfusatf View Post
Thanks doing some searching online for training classes, prices range from $200 for 8 hour class or $475, two day class 16 hours total. If I send you the links maybe you can send your comments. I'm a new AR owner with 1000 rounds under my belt and 3000 round with my .22 AR. Thanks again...John
I'll try, but one thing to remember is what someone puts on paper describing what they teach in a class does not mean the class will be good or bad. I've not trained at any other facilities so I won't have any 1st hand experience with anything you come up with.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj

I'll try, but one thing to remember is what someone puts on paper describing what they teach in a class does not mean the class will be good or bad. I've not trained at any other facilities so I won't have any 1st hand experience with anything you come up with.
I'm an E-mail Member(of FS). I have bought some stuff off the website as well. Almost "pulled the trigger" This Spring on courses, but my Better Half was diagnosed with Rumathoid Arthritis a few weeks ago(aside from Carpal Tunnel in both hands, vertigo, and migraines!) So we choose to stay local. Now She can't do the local Class either,..so it's just me next weekend(finally got the Amt. of Ammo required-500 rds., without depleting my personal stock!). For me it's a "Refresher," but "We" wanted her to learn a few new "tricks." She is a (really)good shot, but has an issue with Autoloaders(except for the 10/22 I gave her, and the Browning Buckmark she bought). Been trying to get her into a .380 of some sort(the Ruger LC380 because they advertise the slide as being "Easy"), since she can't shoot any of my(several) .9mm's. The closest she got to one of my .45's(I Can't shoot em either anymore Was the Range's Rental Ruger 22/45...Put a .357 in Her hands and she puts a 2" single hole in the X at 15yds....and all her groups are "sub 3") at 25yds...(with the Security Six I gave her, but she has good groups with her SP101 as well!)

The Class Mr. Ed Stock(Ch. Rangemaster @ Gunsite) is teaching comprises basic procedures, safety, Different types of "DRAW" (presentation), shooting drills, Magazine changes(although he did tell my My wife could have taken the class with one of her .357's), and successfully engaging targets out to 25 Yards. $299 per person for 2 days(8-5 each day)....Recently became a Member (wife & I on a couples membership for 1.5 yrs.) so we got 10% off...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...