Stupid things you've seen or done at the range....... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Stupid things you've seen or done at the range.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Big Pool, Washington Co,Peoples Republic of Maryland
Default dumb things at the range

A shooter with any brains would keep his mistakes secret rather than post them so thousands of other shooters will know exactly how stupid he is. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, here is my stupid shooter trick: At my own 100 yd range checking out my TC Encore for the upcoming deer season. I shot several rounds and made a scope adjustment then fired again. I noticed a heavier recoil but thought perhaps I had added another do-nut, then prepared to reload. I searched everywhere for my ramrod, with no luck. A neighbor who was watching asked if I had removed the ramrod before shooting, I assured him I wasn't that stupid. I continued my search among the numerous guns lying on the shooting bench while my neighbor walks up toward the backstop and returns with a bent TC ramrod. I have it fastened to the shooting bench as a reminder.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #22

Liked 795 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I was at the rang in Cedar Falls and saw what has to be the most fuktarded move on earth. A guy playing with his new (and first) hand gun. He was with his friend that I gathered to be of equal ignorance. They would load the clip, rack off the entire clip as fast as they could one handed (half the time with the gun ghetto sideways), missing the target 99% of the time, and laughing like hell. I was going to change targets so I was waiting for them to finish their pocket-pull session or whatever it was they were doing when the guy throws in a new clip, chambers a round, and “Click”. It miss fired.
I swear to God, I only wish what followed was made up.
The guy pulls back the slide and kicks out the bullet. Drops the clip and puts it back in, chambers it, and “Click”. He pulls back the clip, picks up the round, puts it back into the magazine while bitching to his friend about how much he paid for the boxes of shells and how ****ty they are. His friend tells him that he is doing it wrong. (don’t know how but whatever) friend pulls the trigger and it shoots. About halfway through the clip there’s another miss-fire. The friend drops the clips, pulls the slide back, puts the round back in by hand, proclaims to his buddy “it ain’t the bullets man. I think your guns f*cked up.” No $hit… he looks down the barrel and pulls the trigger. I heard the click. As he followed up with “yeah, this gun’s a pos” I packed my stuff and went the hell home. Freaked me out more than just about anything else I’ve ever watched someone do. Stupid stupid stupid.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #23

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
And Scubie, I need a picture of you for the definition of 'drongo'...

Australian slang dictionary

Oh man AusLach... well, at least I haven't let the Kangaroos loose in the top paddock.

Scubie

Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #24

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, here is my little story of brain vapor lock… about 25 years ago I was a new shooter to IPSC (International Practical Shooters Confederation) and had my new 1911 in the living room. I had broken it down, cleaned it, put it back together, polished it, shined it, stroked it, gently rubbed it … you get the picture. Anyway, I was using some snap caps and practicing drawing and doing one shot drills and was really feeling comfortable when the phone rang. I put my 1911 down and answered the phone. My Mom calling to just “chat”. I was talking to Mom and as I did I emptied the magazine of snap caps and loaded a full load of hydro shock, loaded my gun and put it back in my comp holster (I carried in a strong side appendix holster). I talked to Mom for a few more minutes and hung up. Now, don’t judge me as I bet you all know where this is going, and no I don’t know why I unloaded the snap caps and put live ammo in my gun. You guessed it, with my brain in “condition Brown” I walked into the kitchen saw the Mr. Coffee and performed the fastest, smoothest match draw I have ever done and also the most accurate. Score - Me one, Mr. Coffee zero, thank God I didn’t look at the TV.

Scubie

Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #25

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Ok, here is my little story of brain vapor lock… about 25 years ago I was a new shooter to IPSC (International Practical Shooters Confederation) and had my new 1911 in the living room. I had broken it down, cleaned it, put it back together, polished it, shined it, stroked it, gently rubbed it … you get the picture. Anyway, I was using some snap caps and practicing drawing and doing one shot drills and was really feeling comfortable when the phone rang. I put my 1911 down and answered the phone. My Mom calling to just “chat”. I was talking to Mom and as I did I emptied the magazine of snap caps and loaded a full load of hydro shock, loaded my gun and put it back in my comp holster (I carried in a strong side appendix holster). I talked to Mom for a few more minutes and hung up. Now, don’t judge me as I bet you all know where this is going, and no I don’t know why I unloaded the snap caps and put live ammo in my gun. You guessed it, with my brain in “condition Brown” I walked into the kitchen saw the Mr. Coffee and performed the fastest, smoothest match draw I have ever done and also the most accurate. Score - Me one, Mr. Coffee zero, thank God I didn’t look at the TV.

Scubie
ROFL. I declare a winner.

Some time last year, up in Sacramento visiting my sister, we went to a little range out in the Forest Hill area. The rangers up there said it was a great place to shoot, and they even gave us a pre-made and highlighted map right to the spot (evidently we weren't the first to ask).
The place is your typical shooting hole: abandoned quarry, several makeshift lanes facing outward from a small road, plenty of trash from sloppy shooters etc. So we're set up down range, targets on a chalky hill about 80 yds out,we get back and start taking out guns and ammo, and two NUMBNUTS dirt bikers ride right through the damn range between us and our targets. Now, mind you, the place is OBVIOUSLY a range. The park rangers sent us there to shoot, there's targets everywhere, we're unpacking guns, there's even a couple other people about 70 yds to our left shooting diagonally away from us. We know they can't hear us, so we give them the raised-arms "WTF is wrong with you?" gesture and go about our business.
About an hour later my sister has a Ruger Security Six pointed downrange, hammer back, sights on, finger on the trigger. As my gaze shifts from her to the targets, I see THE FRIGGING NUMBNUTS DIRTBIKERS cresting the hill our targets are on, directly in my sister's line of fire.
I yelled out loud enough to get her attention, and pushed her muzzle down as she looked back at me to see what I was freaking out about. The @$$hats just rode right along like hadn't a damn thing happened while we both resumed our "WTF?" gestures with wider eyes and redder faces.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Scubie
Man what you got against coffee. lmao nice shooting tex

Its ok when i was like 8 i did a little sneaking into my dads room took out his shotgun and was playing duckhunter in his bed room and blew a hole into his ceiling. I couldnt sit for a month and couldnt ride my bike for a whole summer. I still think i scared my dad more then it did me. I never have played with a gun like that again it taught me something really important. THERES NO DUCKS IN THE HOUSE

Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #27

Liked 101 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Back when i was in college i was over at one of my buddy's house and i watched him take his 44 mag outside to get rid of some furry pest, he walks up to his shed (he had ALOT of land in the hills) and gets on his knee's bends his head down under his shed, shoves his gun under the shed infront of his face to aim it...i was already laughing, i hear a BANG, he pulls his head out from under the shed with a nice big long gash over his right eye, he missed but man i got a good laugh outa it.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #28

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTmAn View Post
Man what you got against coffee. lmao nice shooting tex

Its ok when i was like 8 i did a little sneaking into my dads room took out his shotgun and was playing duckhunter in his bed room and blew a hole into his ceiling. I couldnt sit for a month and couldnt ride my bike for a whole summer. I still think i scared my dad more then it did me. I never have played with a gun like that again it taught me something really important. THERES NO DUCKS IN THE HOUSE

Well, not with you scaring the snot out of them like that!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #29

DZSCUBIE -
ute is a utility, a pickup truck. They were invented in Ausrtalia so Aussies can call them what we like.
mob - collective noun for a group of kangaroos - like a pride of lions.
bonnet - the hood of the vehicle
footwell - where your feet go when sitting in the vehicle
A-Pillar - the part of the car that is on the sides of the windscreen (windshield). the B pillar is between the front and rear doors (where fitted) and the C pillar is to the sides of the rear windscreen.
Believe me - Australia has an exceptionally rich version of English - this does not even scratch the surface.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #30

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
UTE: ???
Mob: i assume is like a Group??

Foot well = Floor board of a car
and the A-pillar is the first pillar on the side of the windshield, then as u go behind the front seats is the B-pillar, and the ones on the side of the rear window would be the C-pillar... we also call it the same in American...

Sorry brother don't know where in America you live but in my State (West ..By God.. Texas) we call a pillar what you fluff up on a bed.

Scubie[/QUOTE]

mob of kangaroos, gaggle of geese, pod of whales, etc...

This is a ute...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 05-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.