Stupid things you've seen or done at the range.......
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Stupid things you've seen or done at the range.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7107 Times on 4278 Posts
Likes Given: 8625

Default Stupid things you've seen or done at the range.......

MobileMarine's "Huh? What?" thread reminded me of something stupid I did my first time at the range and I thought I'd share it.

I have very little experience with guns and a friend got me hooked on shooting. I bought myself a revolver and when I felt ready, I took it to the range. I went to a very small indoor range and I was there alone. I'm excited as I could be........I was shooting my very own gun for the very first time. As I'm unpacking my gun and ammo, I'm running all the rules through my head......keep it pointed downrange, don't put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to shoot, open the cylinder when setting it down, etc.

So, I'm excited beyond belief, I lay the gun on the bench, open my very first box of .38 ammo and load 6 rounds into the cylinder. I lift the gun, mindful of my stance and where my hands are on the gun. Steady the gun, pushing forward with the strong hand, pulling back with the support hand, etc.

I FIRE OFF THE FIRST ROUND EVER FROM MY VERY OWN GUN!!! I am stunned and after freezing for a moment, I set the gun down and take a few steps back. In all my excitement, I forgot to put my eyes and ears on. I am totally but temporarily deaf in my left ear and the right one is ringing like crazy. I am embarrassed and afraid for my hearing health at the same time. I gather my wits about me, put my eyes and ears on and have a wonderful shooting experience for the rest of the time at the range.

Let me guarantee anyone who may not know. A GP100 is a very loud gun.

Anyone else want to share a story?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I was at an indoor range a couple of months ago and 3 English tourists rented a 9mm pistol. The range employee showed them how the pistol operated and left. I was wary of newbies shooting next to me so I watched. The 1st one up placed his thumb over the strong hand so I stopped them and ended up giving a basic lesson. This was the 1st time these guys had ever touched a firearm. I was kind of mad at the employee for not showing them at least the proper grip. The shooter would have gashed his thumb. At least these guys were willing to listen and were pretty nice. They ended up buying a couple more boxes of ammo and had a lot of fun. Sadly they will probably never touch a handgun again unless they come back to the US. They were totally amazed that I could carry a handgun and the guns I was shooting were mine.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not at the range but while out shooting...

My brothers and I went for a drive in the ute with my .223 and the .25-06 to get some roos for dog meat. Out of the passenger's side window I spotted a mob so we pulled up the vehicle and from inside the cab I rested my rifle on the door frame to get a steady shot. Little did I know, my brother had set up the bipod of the .25-06 out across the bonnet. I drew a bead and fired, and an instant later there was a massive crack as my brother fired too.

I immediately fell into the footwell, the quarter-bore's muzzle had been about a foot away from my head. After the ringing had subsided and I had finished yelling at my idiot brother, I could only begin to laugh as he had cracked his windscreen from the centre all the way over to the A-pillar!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I saw a joung man with expensive "grill" work showing his girl how to shoot.
Her grip needed a little work and as a NRA Instructor, I was more than willing to assist.

I explained how a semi-auto has a slide and the thumb of the left hand should not go over the knuckle of the right hand (and with an unloaded semi-auto pistol that I had the slide back on, I demonstrated the proper hold.)

She shot a couple of rounds and was very pleased with herself. Then the boyfriend wanted to try (his new gun). Long story short, I'm glad I had bandaids with. His thumb was a little torn up. He thought he knew all about guns and was not going to listen to a cracker.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

When my wife and i first met she was fascinated by my desert eagle 50ae. She begged and begged to go shoot it. So finally we set aside a weekend and went to an outdoor range.

My wife being a little better endowed than the norm decided to wear a lower cut top to the range. We get there get setup i touch off a few so she can see it in action. The desert eagle 50ae has a LOT of torque rotating the barrel violently to the left and smacking the shooter squarely in the forehead with a smoking hot piece of brass if your grip is the slightest bit weak.

So i hand her a ball cap and jacket. Telling her its a good idea to wear some protection by pulling the cap down an wear the jacket. She refused and wanted to just try it out. There is no denying her she is the sort that has to learn. The first shot went off the case pinged her right above the shooting glasses in the forhead and came to rest snuggled in her bra to cool off. She had her shirt above her head and her assests out for one and all.

To this day she does whatever i tell her when it comes to gun safety

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was out hunting with my dad (muskrat) so basically target practice, it was a small pond probably only 100yrds x 75yrds. He was standing on the edge of the pond looking for barrow marks. Completely ignoring what I was doing he was about 3 feet from the waters edge and I was up hill of him looking down on the pond. As my old man was sitting there looking at the bank I saw the target pop up. I unleashed two rounds out of my 22 and they hit only about 10 or 15 feet from the old man. He jumped backwards and landed on the ground. After about 10 minutes of yelling at me he realized I'd killed the muskrat. This happened when I was only 14.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Back around '82 or so, a bunch of us went out to a range in Miami, FL. It was a cold range.. We'd there about an hour and had gone through a few cycles of "Cease fire" to "all clear".. So my buddy, very eager to see how well he'd done, hears the "Cease fire", unloads, makes safe, then starts walking downrange while everyone steps back behind the line. You should have heard the RO..

"Hey, you dumb &*!@#@ in eight! Hey, dumb @#$%!@!! Everybody, take a look at the dumb @#@$!*." He went on for another minute before he let my buddy come back to the line.

Most recently, about two months ago, had a couple idiots in the lane next to me in an indoor range just south of Ft. Lauderdale. I kid you not, the wife actually put the gun to her head. At one point, the husband took the brass sweep and leaned over the barrier to sweep up brass. He was pushing the barriers into my lane as I was firing. I called the RO and they gave them a warning, but the idiots were PO'd at me because I'd made a fuss. Sorry, but I don't care how much you think I'm an a**hole, don't play around on the range.

Last edited by BlindOldMan; 05-10-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Clarified "they" as the idiots, not the RO

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Not at the range but while out shooting...

My brothers and I went for a drive in the ute (what the hell is a ute?)with my .223 and the .25-06 to get some roos for dog meat. Out of the passenger's side window I spotted a mob (mob? bunch of people rioting?) so we pulled up the vehicle and from inside the cab I rested my rifle on the door frame to get a steady shot. Little did I know, my brother had set up the bipod of the .25-06 out across the bonnet. (bonnet? A hat? I know this one but could not resist) I drew a bead and fired, and an instant later there was a massive crack as my brother fired too.

I immediately fell into the footwell, (what the hell is a footwell?)the quarter-bore's muzzle had been about a foot away from my head. After the ringing had subsided and I had finished yelling at my idiot brother, I could only begin to laugh as he had cracked his windscreen (I asume windshield?)from the centre all the way over to the A-pillar! What is a A-pillar?)

Hey anyone have a Aussie dictionary??

Scubie

Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

When i first picked up my XD45, i took it directly to the shooting pit along with a few boxes of Federal. I didn't have ear plugs for anybody, and we spent the ride home yelling "what?" and "do you hear that bell?". Now there are foamy plugs in the range bag, the pistol cases, the gun safe, the car, by the ammo, etc.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Our range is self controlled, no range master; which is OK since you are generally alone. This day, I was not and my shooting buddy and I arrived while the safe lite was lit and folks were down range.

Instead of waiting for them to return, I got my rifles out and placed them (unloaded, bolts open) into the gun racks behind the safe line and waited for the three shooters down range to return.

When they got back one took exception to my handling weapons while shooters were down range and although I thought he was way off base at the time, I can see how it might make one a little nervous having folks drive up and be handling weapons while I'm 100 yards down range.

Let me say that at no time were weapons pointed down range. Muzzles were always up, until the rifles were placed into the rack behind the firing line.

People get the government they deserve.