Started my range - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Started my range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762 View Post
how do you spell JEALOUS?
I second that!!! Here where I live in Florida, you have to drive 100 miles to the closest open land.

-Bob

Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looking good!

Have built several.We do as one poster suggested and put in a 25 and 50 yd berm as well.They're off to the side of main lane.They're nice because you're walking to 100 yd berm to post targets anyway....we hang tartgets on the others as well.

25 for handguns,50's for .22's and offhand C.F. rifle.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

looking great String! You are a few steps ahead of me. I am putting up a range at my place as well as soon as my current project is complete. I think I will just have the 1 back stop and mark out the distances I want to shoot with permanent markers (thinking of using 4x4 posts cemented in the ground down one side of range). Carry on and get us some more pics when its done!

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That is going to be a very nice range. I expect you can save enough in fuel looking for a place to shoot. I am surrounded by open range lands. We have targets out to 1,800 meters. That is too far for my Sharps 45-110.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Thanks everyone

My plan is to put target frames at 25, 50 & 100 yards and see how that works. The land slopes down slightly from the fireing line to the backstop so that should help. I did build the shooting bench with skids on the bottom so I can hook it to the 4 wheeler and pull it around if need be. My tractor has a front end loader so I can build smaller berms if I see its necessary. I plan on building at least one more bench so theres no reason I couldn't leave one at say 50 yards. I can't see needing a bench much at 25. Also planning to build a good size table behind the firing line to have a place to put things and have a polaris ranger to move things around the range.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Man do I envy you, been wanting to do that for years. Look forward to watching the progress and seeing the finished product. Keep us posted.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Its been a while since I updated this thread mainly because we have had record amounts of rain here in the southeast this spring and summer and I need at least 5 days of dry weather before I can work on the range without making a mess and I have had very few of those. I have got most of the roots out and its pretty smooth. I'm not worried about making it "baseball diamond" smooth. As long as I can cut the grass I'll be satified. I still have some rocks to pick up (wish the grandkids lived closer). I'm still debating whether to go over it with my tiller. I am going to move the teeth on my box scrape up out of the way and just go over is a few times with just the blade. I'm watching the weather and if I see some pretty good chances of rain I'll sow the grass seeds. I figure the range is about 20,000 sq. ft. + or -. I plan to use a seed called "The Rebels" because its supposed to more hardy than some of the other blends. 20 lbs. is supposed to cover 5000 sq. ft. so I'm going to buy 120 lbs. I'm making my front yard bigger so I'll be using some of the seeds there. There is no way I can water the seeds on the range so I just hope we have a wet fall. One picture looking down range and one looking up range.

img_3540.jpg   img_3541.jpg  

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 09-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Also I have decided to put the target frames just in front of the berm and have a bench at 25, 50 and 100 yards. This is my private range so there won't be any shooting at different ranges at the same time so you just go to the bench at the distance you want to shoot. Actually you can shoot up to 150 yards if you want. I'm going to build a 4' X 8' table behind the 100 yard bench giving me a place to put things. I also have a plastic storage thingy I'm not using so thats going to the range too so I can store targets, staple guns, gun rests etc so I won't have to carry them back and forth to the house.

jjfuller1 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2107 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 3171

You have done a very nice job so far.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 544

I did the same thing when I started my range. I have been working on my range area for almost 20 years. I am creating "pockets" with steel targets for pistols and the 22 rifle. Once you get all the roots and limbs gone things will be a lot easier. I just use a plastic picnic table for a shooting bench. I have a wooden bench that is made like a schoolroom desk that is to heavy to move around. I need to put skids on it so I can drag it.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato