Springfield Armory .460 Rowland
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Springfield Armory .460 Rowland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Default Springfield Armory .460 Rowland

after the movie today i dropped by the indoor range, Badger Guns in Milwaukee. it was snowing with an unpleasent breeze below freezing all morning so i gave up on going to the rifle range but i wanted to try the 460 out.

initial impressions: DIRTY rund to shoot using the hodgden longshot. its a shotgun powder and more than a little unburnt powder hit me in the face thanks to the compensator. wear your glasses. im going to get some AA#5 after i run out of the longshot. i hope that burns cleaner.

i fired 50 rounds of 230grn FMJ, 3 fail to feed. im not used to my springfield not cycling. definately not a gun mod i would rely on for SD right yet or in the field as a hunting sidearm. 50 rounds isnt much into it yet so im not that worried. the chamber may just need a better throat job than what ccg provided. but im not going to do anything to it till ive run more rounds downrange.

recoil is quite a bit stronger than CCG claimed. i would say its on par with 158grn 357mag out of a 6 inch revolver. rotational torque is quite severe reminds me of shooting the Desert Eagle 50AE. i would rank follow up shots in the same area as my colt python but slower than 45acp.

i fired some standard 45acp 230grn fmj about 20 rounds out of it and recoil was GREATLY reduced with no FTF. recoil with standard 45acp i would say is less than what you experience with a steel frame cz75.

accuracy was superb as seen below:

over all i like it a LOT. its a lot easier to handle than the DE 50AE with equuivelant power levels. i really like this kit and look forward to shooting it a lot more. but for now range only.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A well written critique! With pics, so I could grasp the content!!

Thanks

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Good shooting,JonM. Good looking weapon also.

Is that a wide body Springfield frame or a single stack? I have a wide body,and it just got me thinking!!!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Good shooting,JonM. Good looking weapon also.

Is that a wide body Springfield frame or a single stack? I have a wide body,and it just got me thinking!!!!!
Thanks. mine is single stack im a traditionalist you can contact clark custom guns and ask. 460 Rowland Conversion Kits for your 1911

but i think its single stack steel frame only. the recoil is pretty stiff i would not use this kit on a aluminum frame.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cool!!!

Quote:
i fired some standard 45acp 230grn fmj about 20 rounds out of it and recoil was GREATLY reduced
So the .460 rowland can fire standard 45acp rounds, but not visa versa?

Thanks for the report and pics!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post

That is correct, but you have to know what spring you have in the weapon.

The .45 ACP will fit and fire from a .460 Rowland Chamber. Not so much vice versa.

However if you have that big 24# spring in that big bastard the standard .45 is probably not going to cycle. In addition, with the increased firing pin spring strength, you need to factor that into the basic .45 ACP cartridge.

While not ideal, it will function in the real world.

JD

Old 03-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i think my loads are right on the edge of reliable function they clock in at 830fps for a 230grn fmj 5 inch barrel. it cycles the 24# and extra power firing pin springs. but i only fired a handful of standard 45acp. not much of a test.

my only wish is i wish it had the new colt feed ramp and throating. cant wait to take it to texas in novembor to shoot something other than paper. cant wait to see what it will do to gallon jugs pop bottles and such.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post

Yep, just like shooting .38 spls in a .357 mag.

But watch that 24# spring, it really slows the .45 cycle time.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i know some folks dont like reality tv but in the second season of hogs gone wild one of the hog hunters is carrying a 1911 chambered in 460 rowland from CCG.