spinner target
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > spinner target

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default spinner target

howdy.
in my seemingly endless free time as a college student i have decided over winter break that im going to make a spinner target to get over the boredom that comes during winter break.
i want to make two sets one that can withstand up to my 30.06 and another that is for up to rimfire only. what is the minimum thickness that you would use for each? im thinking using 3/8th plate should be sufficient for the centerfire and 1/4 should be fine for rimfire. and i was going to hang them so that all shots are deflected downward
any input would be great.

Remington 870 express 12gauge
Remington 597 LS HB .22lr
Remington 721 30.06

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #2

Liked 770 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Most centerfires will buzz right thru 3/8 regular(cold rolled) steel. Your 30/06 would go thru or make quite a mark on 1/2" regular(cr) steel. 1/4 or 3/16 is fine for rimfires.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have biult one and. I yoused 3/4 steel it stopes a 308 but after a lot of rounds going in to it and it starts to blow threw it so I hope some of this helps

Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #4

yeah, but i can heat treat the steel. i have access to several furnaces. and theres a company that offers one that is supposedly able to handle up to 30-06 but i dont want to spend 100 on something i can build for 20 or 30 and eat up some of my boredom

Remington 721 30.06

Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #5

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

We used 1/4" hot rolled steel plate it's stops .22 LR, 9MM Luger, 38 Special +P, .357 Magnum. Sadly we also tried it with a 7MM Remington Magnum and a 30-30 well lets just say they put a pretty nice clean hole straight through it. On a piece of 1" steel a 7MM Remington Magnum 150 Grain Soft Point took a 3/8" chunk out of the plate at 50 yards. For pistols and .22's 1/4" hot roll plate works fine but on certain types of rifles it does not work at all.

Take a look at this... it's interesting

http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/steel-target-resource-guide.pdf

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #6

I work with metal alot (CNC plasma cutting) so I have access to alot of sheet steel. I've used some scrap 3/4" mild steel (A36) for these two hanger targets, but they are really only good for handguns IMO. I've shot them with .223 and 762X39 and they make a very nasty hole. They don't go through but they go into the steel at least 1/4".

If two shots were to hit in the same spot, I'm sure it would go through. I've stopped shooting them with rifles to save them for large caliber handguns.

I use the smaller 1/4" steel for 9 MM but it still wants to "cup" the steel after a while. That's ok though, just turn the steel over and you're good to go for a while more.

What you should be making them out of is 3/8" AR400 or AR500 steel. It's a much harder steel but is also much more expensive.

You won't be able to harden the mild steel enough to matter. It's the carbon content of the steel that allows it to be hardened good.

Here's my target setup:

I actually don't like shooting these steel targets anymore though... I've shot at some with A500 and the shrapnel deosn't fly as much. When I would shoot at my mild steel targets, sometimes I would see leaves getting hit halfway in between me and the targets. That kind of freaked me out. Now I use cardboard or paper targets and have started saving old dishes too.

Last edited by Scratch; 12-11-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Old dishes? That would fun. Will have to remember that.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3148 Times on 1813 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Have you thought about using something that allows the bullet to pass through?

We used to use those hard plastic hot pan holders. They could handle a lot of shots. Cheap, replaceable, easy to get.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1184 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 733

dishes sound fun and i have yet to try them. however i have always found that little ceramic knick knacks, stuffed animal, apples ,pumpkins water filled plastic. have always been the funnest targets to shoot. they tend to dance and splatter and splash all over everywhere when you hit em. during the summer i stop at tons of yardsales because you can buy a whole bunch of targets for cheap... often they have knick knacks and animals for a dime or quarter a peice. hehehehe

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #10

hey unclebear thanks for that article it gave me a couple of thoughts. ive never liked shooting plates and the like because theres always too much cleanup afterward. old spray paint and nearly empty propane tanks make for one hell of a display especially when you light a road flare next to them run 50 yards at the very least to your gun and then unload on it, but thats frowned upon.
a couple of years ago my friends and i built a set of silhouettes on stands that reset when you pulled on the proper string. theyve only ever been used for rimfire up to a .22mag and have lasted through thousands of shots and would have lasted longer had my friends grandpa not run one of them with his truck.
going off that article im going to build a set that is specifically for rimfire and handguns. and attempt to find steel that will withstand my hunting rifles.

Remington 721 30.06