Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Sparrow 22 suppressor & Ruger 22/45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/sparrow-22-suppressor-ruger-22-45-a-43182/)

JonM 05-29-2011 09:19 PM

Sparrow 22 suppressor & Ruger 22/45
 
picked up one of the new ruger 22/45s with threaded barrel yesterday took it out to the range today. i also took the hammer and hammer bushing from my ruger mark 2 with me as i wanted to try it stock and then modified. fired a total of about 400 rounds today. all rounds fired were at 10 yards range

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3959/img0072i.jpg

unmodified with the magazine safety in place it is difficult to properly seat the magazine and the magazines do not drop free. i had a few fail to feed in the first 50 rounds. i removed the magazine safety and the loaded chamber indicator. after removing the indicator the fail to feed did not recur. removing the mag safety cured the difficult to seat magazine issue as well as allowed the mag to drop free.

when removing the grips i found even MORE ruger warnings lol!!

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1079/img0073fk.jpg

while im waiting for my tax stamp the shop i purchased it from let me use my SilencerCo Sparrow 22.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9435/img0078hk.jpg

the sparrow is very easy to disassemble for cleaning. no tools required. just twist the end cap and slide the outer sleave off

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8773/img0077o.jpg

JonM 05-29-2011 09:19 PM

it has two clamshell inner sleeves that cover the baffle assembly as you can see its a very elegent design. the manual recomds cleaning every 1000 rounds.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6808/img0076ek.jpg

50 rounds at 10 yds without the supressor. fired like a dream.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2236/img0079pu.jpg

50 rounds with the silencer. feeding and extraction seemed much more positive and the pistol was easier to control for follow up shots with the supressor. i could fire it a bit faster with accuracy with the supressor in place than without it.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2875/img0080yo.jpg

20 rounds rapid fire with the suppressor.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9994/img0074at.jpg

over all the sparrow and the 22/45 are a perfect match once the debilitating magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator is disabled. those two features, in my estimation, are real design flaws. another slight annoyance is you cant release the bolt on a full magazine without using the bolt release. just pulling the bolt to the rear wont release it.

cant wait for the tax stamp to show up so i dont have to drive to milwaukee to use it!!

opaww 05-29-2011 09:54 PM

What does it say to use to clean the Suppressor with?

mesinge2 05-29-2011 10:34 PM

Sweet gun. I really want one now, suppressor and all!

JonM 05-29-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaww (Post 514204)
What does it say to use to clean the Suppressor with?

clp and a toothbrush would suffice they list wd40 as an acceptable cleaner but i dont use that for anything even on old rusty bicycle chains. they are designed to be shot wet. i wouldnt use a brass bristle or steel brush prolly remove or scratch the coatings. a light tap on the parts and must of the crud just falls right off. i didnt clean it today but the dirt was very easy to rub off with light finger pressure.

when i wear this one out im gonna send it back to silencerco to have it upgraded to the stainless steel innards. they came out with that a month after i got this one *sigh*

if you also happen to have 22lr AR you can slap that puppy right on the end if the barrel is threaded. just be sure to check alignment first not all AR barrels are threaded straight. a 22cal cleaning rod should go to the bolt face without hitting the suppressor or binding.

cant shoot 223/556 thru the sparrow its 22lr only. while there are rifle sized suppressor DONT shoot 22lr through a rifle one. those suppressors are typically not user cleanable and 22lr will gunk it up FAST!!

Indoors without hearing protection it sounded like a person with very big hands clapping loudly.

JonM 05-29-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesinge2 (Post 514209)
Sweet gun. I really want one now, suppressor and all!

thanks after this run at the range i need to look into a threaded barrel 45acp for their osprey!!

Dillinger 05-30-2011 03:36 AM

Very impressive shooting!

Silencerco really impressed me at SHOT with their products and their passion for their designs.

I am going through the waiting period for the BATFE right now on a Osprey .45 and it's like the 2 weeks before Christmas when I was a kid.

KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLING ME!!

Most jealous of your new toy. *drools*

JD

JonM 05-30-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 514334)
Very impressive shooting!

Silencerco really impressed me at SHOT with their products and their passion for their designs.

I am going through the waiting period for the BATFE right now on a Osprey .45 and it's like the 2 weeks before Christmas when I was a kid.

KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLING ME!!

Most jealous of your new toy. *drools*

JD

your telling me!! im still waiting on the sot to sot approval BEFORE i can start the stamp wait for my M16A1!!!!! least i can shoot it a bit when it gets here at 25yds if i can find some frangible 556 or 22lr if cmmg will ever finish their FA kit.

now i just need to find a buyer for my mark2 target pistol heh

Boyerracing343 05-30-2011 05:07 PM

Great looking gun, Nice shooting. Thanks for sharing.

fudo 06-05-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 514195)
it has two clamshell inner sleeves that cover the baffle assembly as you can see its a very elegent design. the manual recomds cleaning every 1000 rounds.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6808/img0076ek.jpg

50 rounds at 10 yds without the supressor. fired like a dream.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2236/img0079pu.jpg

50 rounds with the silencer. feeding and extraction seemed much more positive and the pistol was easier to control for follow up shots with the supressor. i could fire it a bit faster with accuracy with the supressor in place than without it.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2875/img0080yo.jpg

20 rounds rapid fire with the suppressor.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9994/img0074at.jpg

over all the sparrow and the 22/45 are a perfect match once the debilitating magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator is disabled. those two features, in my estimation, are real design flaws. another slight annoyance is you cant release the bolt on a full magazine without using the bolt release. just pulling the bolt to the rear wont release it.

cant wait for the tax stamp to show up so i dont have to drive to milwaukee to use it!!

Can you say how the the magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator are disabled?


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.