Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Snow, Ice and 321 Rounds 3-08-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Snow, Ice and 321 Rounds 3-08-10

I've been dying to get out shooting and so has my little cousin who's on Spring Break.
So we gathered weapons and ammo and trekked the 200yards through the 12" of ice that is slowly melting between my house and range for some relief to the cabin fever.
Set up some of my Po' Boy IDPA targets I made http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/diy-competition-style-targets-cheap-24357/ on boards stuck in the snow at approx 12ft and 25ft

Shot 100rds Winchester WB 45 Auto 230gr FMJ ---Kimber
Shot 70rds 158gr LSWC handloads and 1 124gr Hydrashok +P(Dave wanted to try one)----Ruger LCR
Shot 150rds Magtech 9mm 124gr FMJ

Cont'd------------------

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

We didn't do much changing of targets , mostly just taking turns blasting away.
Shot up about half our ammo at two targets, changed 'em and shot the rest at 2 more. Working on engaging multiple targets and draws from the holster, I was really working on improving my point shooting.
Here's the second set of targets (I forgot to snap pics of first set) They looked about the same

The area circled in red is an area I need to work on. Both times I shot the LCR weak(left) handed, the last shots tended to migrate into this area. Something I need to work on.

and heres the results of that string

Cont'd-----------------

----------Gate

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 03-09-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

In the spirit of "Keepin it real" I submit a problem I encountered while drawing and shooting my LCR from appendix carry in Uncle Mikes IWB holster

If you didn't catch it, on the draw the holster came out with Elsie and I had to clear it prior to shooting. My blooper of the week, but something I need to fix

Cont'd--------------

----------Gate

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 03-09-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Dave did very well. He doesn't have much pistol experience but he's learning very fast. He only had 100rds through the XDm prior to today. This is his first time live firing from a holster. Not bad, he was really stressing trigger discipline and safety. Did about a dozen dry runs before "going hot" from the holster

The "kid" is a natural, he was smoking A zones all day.

321rds, I think only 4 or 5rds missed the white. No malfunctions, no issues(other than my holster), just good times
Thats it, well we did shoot his new Savage .223 predator rifle as well.
A very nice shooting stick BTW, I may have to pick one up for myself later on.
Sub-MOA all day, and for some reason it loved my handloads for my M4, go figure. I had to keep him off my stash

Constructive criticism is welcomed-------Thanks

----------Gate

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 03-09-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:38 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Damn Gate you is a handsome devil!

Excellent range report and with accompanying video, great visuals and good shooting, very good holster drawl to target acquisition and shot placement. I saw nothing wrong with your presentations, IMHO.

Looks like you and you cousin had a great and productive shooting day.

As far as the Ruger LCR and the Uncle Mikes Holster, I would personally suggest finding a good holster that has attach loops or clips that go around or up under the belt for a more secure and stable holster. There are various brands of nice IWB holsters out there that provide this, Milt Sparks comes to mind.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Very nice Gate! Thanks for the write up and the videos!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 AM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks gate, Good shooting to both you and your cousin. Looks like you had some fun that afternoon.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

THAT is a friggin' range report! Happy for you.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Damn Gate you is a handsome devil!

Excellent range report and with accompanying video, great visuals and good shooting, very good holster drawl to target acquisition and shot placement. I saw nothing wrong with your presentations, IMHO.

Looks like you and you cousin had a great and productive shooting day.

As far as the Ruger LCR and the Uncle Mikes Holster, I would personally suggest finding a good holster that has attach loops or clips that go around or up under the belt for a more secure and stable holster. There are various brands of nice IWB holsters out there that provide this, Milt Sparks comes to mind.
Jack
Thanks you Sir. That is my good side
It was a fun, productive day, the weather's getting nicer and I hope to do it alot more. Online I found a little place close to me in Morgantown, WV that supposedly has weekly IDPA shoots. Never shot any competition before. A league looks like it might be fun. I might check into it as a way of learning and keeping myself actively practicing.
Besides I've never been any good at bowling.
As far as the holster issue, the Uncle Mikes has a little clip that goes under the belt, but the holster material feels rubbery. The Hogue grips want to stick to it like velcro, a quick pull and the holster flew right out. I'll have to get something else.
I'll definitely look at the Sparks. Thanks again.

Goju, Car54, Gork thanks for your comments. I apologize for the video and picture quality. Cell phone, but you get the idea
Thanks again all!

----------Gate