Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Default Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

took my new SW MP 15-22 to the indoor range today. fired 750 rounds no failures. ammo was cci blazer and federal auto-match. bout half was fired with my silencerco sparrow attached. no poi shift. but i was using open sights so its a bit harder to tell.

this was three mags 25 rounds each rapid fire at 25 yards. it was a bit easier to stay on target with the small figure in the upper left.

ive got magpul mbuis sights and magpul moe grip. rails are covered with lightweight ladder rail covers.

after i got done shooting i looked over their scope selection and they had a vortex strikefire sfrd-ar15. it switches between red and green dot. it came with a 2x doubler screw in magnifier and a single ring mount which co-witnesses the magpul sights. this setup would work on any flattop rail system.

its my first ever dot sight so ill try and keep an open mind. didnt actually try it yet thats for next weekend just put on the rifle. here at the house.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like you shoot to kill - just kidding man looks good.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Nice Rifle! But it does not surprise me! They are fine little rifles. Someday in the future I plan on getting one. Good shooting by the way!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

How much did the silencer quiet it down? I am considering getting one and the only gun we have that is threaded is the 15-22. If there is a shft situation I want to be able to hunt without making noise that might attract a predator. I was looking at a Savage bolt with a threaded barrel.
I added an inexpensive laser to ours (read my wifes) for possible use in the house. The only jam I had with ours was with Velocitors and you could definitely feel the difference in recoil. It even ate some Winchester bulk that the 10-22's wouldnt.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
How much did the silencer quiet it down? I am considering getting one and the only gun we have that is threaded is the 15-22. If there is a shft situation I want to be able to hunt without making noise that might attract a predator.
its pretty quiet but i was shooting indoors with people cracking off 12ga shotguns... the sonic crack echoed in there. with subsonics its more like a airsoft in noise level. or like a paintball gun.

even with supersonic ammo your not going to hear it a few hundred yards away.

if sound levels are a shtf concern then your better off getting a ruger 22/45 threaded barrel pistol. they make standard velocity rounds subsonic.

when the outdoor range opens back up in december ill be able to give a better opinion and take some movies.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
when the outdoor range opens back up in december ill be able to give a better opinion and take some movies.
Wait, what's wrong with this picture, the OUTDOOR range doesn't open until December?? I would think you would be on the indoor range then. You are in Wisconsin, right??

Good looking rifle and dead looking target, way to go.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
Wait, what's wrong with this picture, the OUTDOOR range doesn't open until December?? I would think you would be on the indoor range then. You are in Wisconsin, right??

Good looking rifle and dead looking target, way to go.
Thanks. The outdoor range closes for the wisconsin deer hunt. 9 days of hunters going into the woods and blasting anytying that moves man or beast. Your safergoing to fallujah dressed as the pope...

Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its pretty quiet but i was shooting indoors with people cracking off 12ga shotguns... the sonic crack echoed in there. with subsonics its more like a airsoft in noise level. or like a paintball gun.

even with supersonic ammo your not going to hear it a few hundred yards away.

if sound levels are a shtf concern then your better off getting a ruger 22/45 threaded barrel pistol. they make standard velocity rounds subsonic.

Most but not all target ammo is subsonic. The CCI standard velocity is subsonic at 1070 fps. Most but not all of the standard velocity ammo is subsonic. Some are in the 1100+ range. There is subsonic 38 grn hp available. The subsonics are mostly around 1050-1070 fps.
I really dont like the Ruger 10-45 and I was more interested in a rifle. Still looking at the Savage MKII's that have threaded barrels.

Patron Member NRA

Last edited by JTJ; 11-20-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Most but not all target ammo is subsonic. The CCI standard velocity is subsonic at 1070 fps. Most but not all of the standard velocity ammo is subsonic. Some are in the 1100+ range. There is subsonic 38 grn hp available. The subsonics are mostly around 1050-1070 fps.
I really dont like the Ruger 10-45 and I was more interested in a rifle. Still looking at the Savage MKII's that have threaded barrels.
ive seen those at various shops they are very nice indeed. im going to put my leupold mk4 on the m&p and try its accuracy in december. so far i like the m&p better than the 10/22. supposedly the m&ps have "matchgrade" barrels whatever that means but they arent lined barrels like a lot of 22LR coming out nowadays.

with a bolt gun the are easy to load single shot allowing ease of use of even 22lr shorts. with a short about all your going to get is a click from the hammer when using a suppressor

Last edited by JonM; 11-20-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I slapped a Barska 1.5-6X44 IR on the MP15-22 about an hour ago and went to the indoor range. It is very accurate at 25 yards. I had the scope set at 3X. I then took the target in to 8 yards and used the laser from the hip. All 20 rnds I had loaded went into the kill zone rapid fire. That is kinda fun. The red dot I had on it was OK but I hate being battery dependent and we both dont do too well with irons anymore. It might only be a 22lr but you can dump a lot of rounds fast and accurately. The rifle is considerably more powerful than the pistols and you can use hollow points. It would work for someone that can not handle a pistol or revolver. So far the only glitch we had was with Velocitors.

Patron Member NRA