Smith & Wesson 638
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Smith & Wesson 638

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Smith & Wesson 638

Last week I found myself in a large gun store. Adventure Outdoors, located just outside of Atlanta, is the Home Depot of gun stores. Their claim to fame is 8,000 guns in stock and reasonable prices. I went into the store with the plan of buying the new Smith & Wesson M&P15-22, and I did, but something else caught my eye while I was there.
Right there in the case was a S&W 638. I looked at it mainly because it was on "sale" ($399.99), but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. The feather weight of the gun, the shrouded hammer, the +P ability, it wasn't long and I had talked myself into buying the little revolver.
This afternoon I took the time to run some rounds through the little gun. I didn't expect much in the accuracy department due to the tiny "sights", but I did expect a good sharp recoil. I was wrong on both accounts!
I loaded the little gun up with some Federal 125 +P JHP. I did my shooting at 10 yards, which seems like a good defensive range for this type of gun. I popped off 50 rounds to get a feel for the gun, and then I settled down to see what the gun could do off a sand bag. Pleased, surprised, excited, shocked, insert your own word, I'll just post a picture.

That's 15 rounds from a snub nosed revolver at ten yards. I have shot full sized defensive guns that could do no better. Recoil was not near as bad as I expected out of the lite weight gun.
Since one of this guns duties will be to tame snakes, I drew up a snake target and shot it with one shotshell.
[IMG][/IMG]
The shot shell did not shoot to point of aim (center mass) at three yards, but it would have killed a snake. The larger holes are from the plastic case that holds the shot in the shell.
Would I carry the little gun for defense? Not unless size made me. Size matters,
[IMG][/IMG]
but if you must go J frame small, the 638 is the ticket!
If a goblin takes interest in you,
take aim at him!
[IMG][/IMG]

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

slick little gun and good shooting.

but please tell me you weren't looking through the lens of your camera when you took that last pic (even having that on my screen pointed at me makes me nervous)

Last edited by jbshoots; 12-13-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

can you tell me the name of the gun store? I will be in Atlanta on Friday and will be very bored for the next week or so

Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Adventure Outdoors is in Smyrna, just South of Marietta. It's just North of Windy Hill Road on South Cobb Drive. I've bought a half-dozen or so guns from them over the years - great used inventory...

Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Adventure Outdoors
2295 South Cobb Drive
Smyrna, GA 30080
770-333-9880
10-7 M-F
10-6 Sat.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.