Sighting in my gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Sighting in my gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sighting in my gun

I just bought a new rifle and built a shooting bench. I also bought a lead sled solo. My question is..... Is it a good idea to bolt my lead sled to my shooting table? The table is not stationary but it is pretty heavy since it is made out of P.T. lumber. Can bolting the lead sled to the table help me or hurt me?

Last edited by ItsWhiteBoy; 08-01-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Better make the fixture temporary, or don't tell me where you live!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see anything to be gained from bolting sled to table but I also don't see how it hurt anything if you did bolt it to the table. When sighting in a rifle a sled is not even needed.

Last edited by tiberius10721; 08-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Isn't the purpose of a Lead Sled to moderate (lessen) felt recoil? If bolted down wouldn't that add the wt. of the bench to the weight of the sled (if your bench has you sitting on it you would also have to add your weight to the equation). A body can do it and it might be interesting to compare a totally locked down rifle to the point of impact when a rifle is shoulder fired.
Just finished an article in Backwoods Home Magazine by Massad Ayoob where he stated that using a solid rest for a light rifle will change the point on impact on a target.
You squeeze the trigger, the hammer strikes (or the firing pin strikes), the powder is ignited, and your projectile starts on its merry way. At this point the harmonics begin. These vibrations are what lead FN (Browning, Winchester)engineers developed their "Boss" system. These vibrations are why you can not run a regular four wheel drive locked in on dry roads, or you will destroy your transfer case. Anyhow -change the harmonics and change the point of impact.
Are you simply trying to develop a load, or sight in your rifle for the field? So have fun!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Use sandbags to hold in place on side tray.