Should I Quit While I'm Ahead?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Should I Quit While I'm Ahead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #1

Default Should I Quit While I'm Ahead?

Trying to get my custom 6.5x55 zeroed in. It was made on a 1909 Argentine M98 action w/ a 24" fairly heavy barrel. I just got it back from the GS last week. Started out w/ 100 grain Hornadys and it was all over the paper. Went to 120 grain Speers and a little better, but not much. I was down to my last 5 rounds. All of a sudden and I can't explain why but the thing just settled in and started to shoot. The next 3 shots: in the same hole. Now I'm so excited I can't hold the gun steady. 4th shot, a flier. 5th shot, a worse flier. But hey, I don't care. I know now that it is capable of very good accuracy. I have a feeling that 140 grains will shoot even better.
cottontopdscn0184.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2569 Times on 1670 Posts

Possibles: barrel break in/fouling, inconsistent ammo, excitedness, getting used to trigger. I'd shoot some more, find someone to make up some handloads. You like it otherwise?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #3

Yeah, I love it. The handloads are mine. I'm going to try some 140 grain handloads w/ some various powders. I think you nailed it with barrel break in. The military trigger is not great. It's not bad, but not great. My being excited over the 3 shot one hole group probably didn't help w/shot #4 and 5. It will be a great rifle and it is settleing in just fine. I put an old Redfield Widefield 2-7 variable on it and it seems to be a great combination. I will post a picture of the gun in the near future.
cottontop

Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #4

Could be the scope, especially if its older. If its proven to be good on another gun then not.

I've heard stories of brand new scopes being bad. They put the old scope back on and it shoots better.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

check your scope. make sure all your screws are tweaked tight enough, and then check your stock screw(s).

your barrel might also be rubbin on the stock somewhere. just make sure all the screws are tight.

let a couple more ppl shoot it before doing anything but tightenin screws. if there is still a problem, try a different scope on it.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

But guys, I am trying to tell you that there is no problem. The gun shoots fine and those first three shots all in the same hole. What I was trying to say and it somehow got lost in the writing is that those next two shots were off because of me being too excited to hold the rifle steady enough. I was trying a little humor by saying that maybe I should have quit with those first three shots. I do appreciate everybody's advice and concern though.
cottontop

Old 09-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Rehab is for quitters Cotton. Keep shooting, nice 3 shot group

Old 09-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #8

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I've found that it helps, after dragging all the gear to the range, to

take a couple minutes to quiet down, before shooting.

Considerably.

The jump in accuracy is large percentages,

no matter how you measure it.

I'm willing to bet on the next trip you'll have a

nice 5-shot grouping.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
I've found that it helps, after dragging all the gear to the range, to

take a couple minutes to quiet down, before shooting.

Considerably.

The jump in accuracy is large percentages,

no matter how you measure it.

I'm willing to bet on the next trip you'll have a

nice 5-shot grouping.
Heartbeat raised from moving around do much?

Feral cat waterboarder