Shotgun slugs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Shotgun slugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Shotgun slugs

So at my range they only let me shoot slugs downrange and I figured someone on here would have a answer for me. I shot 30 slugs and every one was on the right side of the paper and I was aiming at the middle. Any thoughts as to why my shot is so far off??? I know I can shoot pretty well but maybe there is something that I am doing that I'm not aware of to be shooting so terribly I wish I had a picture of the pattern but there wasn't a chance for me to grab it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #2

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

What type of sights? Bead sight or rifle sights?

If a bead sight, it may be about your head position behind the receiver. This could be because the stock is too long or too short. Your barrel may look a little to the right. It could also be that particular slug load. Did you try more than one brand? Barrel harmonics can vary with different loads so another load may print closer to point of aim.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always used to shoot right with my shotgun (bead sight). You might not be holding the gun perfectly straight up and down. Also flinching with a 12ga and slugs is also a possibility.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

It has a bead sight on it and I've run probably 3 different kinds of slugs through it with the same results so I doubt it has anything to do with the type of ammo I'm using. It also may have to do with flinching a little bit because this thing kicks like a damn mule!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I had similar problem until I exhaled and held breath. Now all shooting is done that way. And I am dead on target each time.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #6

it's just the nature of the beast. bead only sights are generally not going to shoot slugs to exact point of aim. i have seen an ithaca 66 and a couple 870's that did, but most were off at least a little, at 50 yds. that is why my slug only guns have some sort of adjustable sight on them. would you shoot a 30-06 with just a bead sight? same difference.fwiw, i prefur ghost ring or red dots on slug guns.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have an 870 which I converted to a semi-tactical slug gun with ATI scorpion components. Recoil forces are definitely reduced--which in turn helps aiming issues. I put the remington scope mount on which uses the receiver side pins and like it alot because it holds my slughunter scope steady and also leaves enough space under the rail to use the bead/rifle sights if you have to. I use Royal, Hornady sst and winchester sabots, they all seem to do fairly well at 50 yards but at 100 yards the winchester partition gold slugs do noticeably better and consistently deliver good groupings with symmetric huge holes in the target.

Last edited by pantherBDC; 07-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #8

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

^^^ Gecko45. Lol jk

Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #9

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG
It has a bead sight on it and I've run probably 3 different kinds of slugs through it with the same results so I doubt it has anything to do with the type of ammo I'm using. It also may have to do with flinching a little bit because this thing kicks like a damn mule!!
Go to Walmart near the gun counter. They have Winchester fiber optic iron sights for $10. That's what I have on mine works perfectly.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

If your gun has a bead front sight more than likely it has a smooth bore barrel. Generally smooth bore barrels don't shoot sabot ed ammo very well as the ammo is designed for a fully rifled barrel. Try using a full rifled slug as they are made for smooth bore barrels and should be more consistent. Try that and maybe add some fiber optic front and rear sights or low mag scope and you should be good to go. I killed a mess of deer over the years with a smooth bore barrel before up grading to a full rifled barrel and now have better kill results and a little added range. BUT now the cost of sabot ed slugs are through the roof so I may go back. Just limit your range to less than 100 yards and you should be good to go. hope this helped