Shot the Colts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Shot the Colts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default Shot the Colts

Brought the pair of Colt Commanders to my local range this afternoon for a first smoke test. These guns are right at 30 years old so I was wondering how they'd shoot. I brought 5 different mags with me as that's how I like to check overall operation. The mags were a Tripp Cobra, a Wilson, a Kim-Pro, a Colt, and my oldest and most worn McCormick Shooting Star (a cheap mag). Ended up running 7 mags through each gun without so much as a single burp at all. Even the CMC with the well worn spring couldn't cause either gun to fail. I was shooting Georgia Arms bulk ammo.

Overall impression is that these are good shooting guns, I didn't have any JHP with me but I expect they'll digest it just fine. The tiny, no contrast GI sights are not very friendly to my old eyes. I was able to manage softball sized groups at 25 feet firing pretty rapidly - so they would get the job done in a defensive situation. I have target quality 1911s so it doesn't bother me these are more close range defensive guns at all. As I was checking out at the range, the assistant manager (who's a nice young fella) asked me what I was shooting today. I open the range bag and he immediately began to drool. He offered to buy both of them on the spot and I could have made a few bucks on the sale. It went against my wheel & deal nature - but I brought them home...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, how did they group when firing both together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
He offered to buy both of them on the spot and I could have made a few bucks on the sale. It went against my wheel & deal nature - but I brought them home...
Nice self control!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
So, how did they group when firing both together?
I'm nowhere near tacticool enough yet to dual wield - but I'll work on it...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looking at the pictures you showed the other day, I don't blame you for hanging on to them.

BTW, the Ga Arms ammo you were shooting, is that loaded a bit hot or is is standard loads? I've looked at their site a few times and considered ordering, but I haven't talked to anyone who has used it.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Looking at the pictures you showed the other day, I don't blame you for hanging on to them.

BTW, the Ga Arms ammo you were shooting, is that loaded a bit hot or is is standard loads? I've looked at their site a few times and considered ordering, but I haven't talked to anyone who has used it.
Their bulk FMJ is just a standard load but they also sell Gold Dot JHP and it's loaded a bit hotter. I've shot a ton of their ammo and it's great quality and generally priced pretty good. They are at every gun show in GA and when I go (not very often) I always visit their table and stock up...

Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
As I was checking out at the range, the assistant manager (who's a nice young fella) asked me what I was shooting today. I open the range bag and he immediately began to drool. He offered to buy both of them on the spot and I could have made a few bucks on the sale. It went against my wheel & deal nature - but I brought them home...
Who are you and what have you done with our beloved Dave?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds good Dave.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

BTW, here's how they looked this evening with the pretty rosewood grips put away and my shooting Pachmayr's installed. The Pach's ain't that pretty but I really like them for shooting...

img_cdrs-x.jpg  

Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They still are a pretty picture......Thanks for the info on GA arms. I hear they make a lot of Florida shows too, I'll have to hit one close by and pick some ammo up.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, other than the serial #'s, can YOU tell them apart?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.