Shooting through rolled down windows, would you? - Page 5

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Shooting through rolled down windows, would you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

the only time ive shot through a car window i was inside using it as a rest to plug yotes...

using a vehicle you care about as a training aid is pretty stupid. if its a beater farm truck that barely runs or doesnt run who cares...

but its his property if he wants to ventilate it good for him!! heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 237 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Coworker many moons ago took a shot from one side of his Pontiac (Bonneville I think, maybe Catalina) out the other..............he was parked by beanfield and a big groundhog just ambled out.

Rifle? .264 Winchester magnum.

BOOM! and the whole headliner sagged.

There were witnesses, he laughed then and still laughs today.
Friend hunting squirrels from inside cab with 22 rifle. scope lined up on squirrel, barrel lined up on mirror. The squirel got away but the mirror bit the dust. We also laughed then, and to this day.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #43

Liked 956 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 730

What the hell guys it's his truck I guess. If he feels comfortable doing it what the hell go for it. I'm know great pistol shot but could easily do what he did. Besides I've killed hundreds of critters years ago out my windows from elk, deer on down to song birds. Looks like great training, practice to me. I would have fun doing it.

USMC 74-78

Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 237 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
What the hell guys it's his truck I guess. If he feels comfortable doing it what the hell go for it. I'm know great pistol shot but could easily do what he did. Besides I've killed hundreds of critters years ago out my windows from elk, deer on down to song birds. Looks like great training, practice to me. I would have fun doing it.
He has been shooting out of his truck on his ranch for years, lots of fun but you let your guard down just for a second and opps. I guess that is what he gets for being in the USMC reserve(14 years) and never in active duty. As for myself 75-77. 0311. Semper Fi
Old 06-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I think you guys over analyze every thing, the guy was practicing and appears to be a good shot. What if a vehicle is the only cover? He moved back and forth using the truck as cover realistically a lot depends on what is being fired back at you, .22, 9mm, even .45 are not great vehicle penetrators. Using the vehicle as cover beats the hell out of standing out in the open, if the perp is using a .308, 30-06 you're in a world of trouble. So even though its not ideal it does hide the target the bg has no point of aim. IMO
If someone is shooting at you with a 30/06 or a 308 you are in trouble even if you are inside a brick home, especially if they have plenty of ammo. A 150gr FMJ 30/06 round will zip right through a brick wall. A hunter in the area shot a deer in a field behind his house. He shot the deer broadside parallel to to his house. The bullet hit the deer in the shoulder and came out of his chest. The 30/06 soft point bullet still had enough energy to pass through a brick wall and come to a stop in a kitchen cabinet.

My father was working for the LA county sheriffs department during the Watts riots. They used 12 ga slugs to shoot down block walls rioters were using for cover. If an attacker has a sturdy long gun the only adequate cover is 3/4" mild steel plate. Unless you have a bulldozer handy to use for cover you are SOL.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #46

Liked 1220 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 621

I do it all the time when shooting tannerite and its a big batch , I use the truck to shield from any shrapnel , only did it once though with the 7mmRM in a browning safari with the boss on it , its a wonder the shock off the muzz did not blow the windows out .
Having a junk yard at my disposal I get to shoot alot of vehicles but hoods and windshields are a no no , I have seen 45lc glance off both .
Dad put a hole in one of my trucks with a 7.62 using the bed as a bench rest

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”