Shooting LK style.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Shooting LK style.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 916 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Default Shooting LK style.

Well I hunt a lot and spend a fair amount of time hiking, scouting for deer, checking on and moving treestands. I usually take a gun or two and shoot as I walk along especially this time of year. I'm tagged out on deer, killed 6, so my freezer is full.

I have been to an indoor range one time in my life and that was to qualify for my CCW. I hated it. I shoot thousands of rounds a year and just go to a farm or public land and load my pack up with a few hundred rounds and take a walk. Sure is fun as there is always something to shoot at.

Yesterday was a perfect day to take a few family members and check on a treestand or two and I took one of my sons, daughter in law and a couple of grandsons. The walk would only be about 3 miles total and the temp. was 35, cloudy, with a windchill of 25. PERFECT.

His new TRP. LOL My 6 year old grandson Luke. His parents couldn't go so I picked him up and took him with us. He was dieing to shoot his new RED RIDER Santa left him.

Chaz daughter in law helping Sawyer my 3 year old grandson shoot the red rider.

Don't shoot papaw Sawyer. Whoa gotta work on the safety skills.

Chaz shooting a RIA 9mm tac. She liked it better than my Colt .45 and SA loaded .45 that she also shot. Loved them all though. This was her 1st time shooting a pistol.

Benjamin (son) shooting The Colt. Notice the water.

The little one was wore out so dad helped him out the last mile.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 01-07-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Liked 505 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I'm curious because of all the different comments I see about women shooters and especially as I continue to fight the losing battle of getting my wife to go shooting with me.

Why specifically, if she shared, did your daughter-in-law like the 9mm better? Was it recoil? Handling? I assume the size, form factor, and manual of arms is the same or similar to the Colt.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

She continues to surprise me. Not afraid of the outdoors, guns dragging out deer or anything related to the outdoors. Some people, women or men just don't get into it.
Just try to make it fun by doing something like we did. Doesn't have to be a walk in cold weather. What does she like to do? Make that part of a shooting session. I also find that new shooters like to see results and stupid holes in paper ain't it. I hate shooting paper. Buy some cheap Wally world sodas or water bottles and make it fun. Whatever you do don't bitch one single time.

The recoil was less and all the guns were 1911's. Noise is less too. Just praise and how proud you are of her. We were shooting into a water hole and even if she missed by a foot the water exploded and she saw results not a bunch of nothing. Frustration sets in quick then. Good luck as some will never take to it.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 01-08-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

Liked 505 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Thanks.

Interesting feedback. Sounds like the experience of a new shooter and not just a "girl shooter", which I can appreciate. I'm sometimes a little flummoxed with the assumptions men make about women shooters.

I also fired a 9mm and a .45 on the same day as my first handgun experience and liked the 9mm better, mostly because it was far more accurate (Beretta 92FS vs. Colt Govt Model 70) and I was not nor am still a decent pistol marksman. However, I now use a .45 ACP as my primary handgun. So while I appreciate the 9mm and definitely liked it better at the time I think it helped me graduate on to a different caliber.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

In my experience, the lady shooters are the best because they come in with an open mind, they're better students who pay attention to the "teacher" and they do exactly what you teach them to do. They don't have any previously acquired "bad habits"

guys come into a "class room setting" already thinking they know everything to know about shooting, and everything you say goes in one ear and out the other, because they think you're just an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about.

At the end of the day, the ladies typically have better scores than the gentlemen.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #6

speaking of learning bad habits.... your daughter in law may dramatically improve her shooting if she were to lean the other way. she's way back on her heels, leaning back as if to counterbalance her arms and the pistol. we know the guns aren't THAT heavy, and I doubt her arms are either get her to stand feet square and shoulder width, with a slightly forward lean so she can better absorb the recoil of the firearm as she shoots.

just friendly advice from what I see in the pic (for all I know, you already saw that and coached her on it after she was done shooting, or it's on your list of things to correct....like you said, keep them engaged and let them shoot with no stress, and if you tried to correct everything for perfect form on day one, you'll stress any new shooter out and they may not take well to the sport)

Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
speaking of learning bad habits.... your daughter in law may dramatically improve her shooting if she were to lean the other way. she's way back on her heels, leaning back as if to counterbalance her arms and the pistol. we know the guns aren't THAT heavy, and I doubt her arms are either get her to stand feet square and shoulder width, with a slightly forward lean so she can better absorb the recoil of the firearm as she shoots.

just friendly advice from what I see in the pic (for all I know, you already saw that and coached her on it after she was done shooting, or it's on your list of things to correct....like you said, keep them engaged and let them shoot with no stress, and if you tried to correct everything for perfect form on day one, you'll stress any new shooter out and they may not take well to the sport)
Yes sir I plan on coaching her some but this was the 1st time for her to shoot a pistol so I wasn't gonna be the one to MESS it up for her. She has already said she wants a 9mm 1911. She also has her Facepage pic a pic of her shooting the 1911's. Shooting with the boys it says. LOL Created a monster.

USMC 74-78

Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Yes sir I plan on coaching her some but this was the 1st time for her to shoot a pistol so I wasn't gonna be the one to MESS it up for her. She has already said she wants a 9mm 1911. She also has her Facepage pic a pic of her shooting the 1911's. Shooting with the boys it says. LOL Created a monster.
haha! congrats Grandpa!

but...why did it take YOU to turn her into a monster instead of your son? (I jest in good nature!)

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Looks like a lot of fun! I shoot milk jugs and soda bottles with my younger daughter and son, ages 12 and 10. Sometimes we add a little extra fun with an exploding target. My kids like the 22 lr pistol and mini 14.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

My wife and I use a spinner target with the 22 rifles and pistols. We shoot both at 25-30 yards off hand. She will shoot her 17HM2 at 100 yards from the bench but the spinners are more fun. You have to keep it fun.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."