Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Shooting from a bench rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Shooting from a bench rest

Monday at our local gun club, I had two incidents happen. Twice my Mini 14 double fired, slam fired, bump fired, what ever you want to call it. I have spoken to several knowledgeable individuals, and their opinon was that it was two unexpected bump fires, probably because of the grip that I had on the weapon.I probably have fired 4,000 to 4,500 rounds .through it. I have never had a problem with malfunctions. I have my Mini 14 and my hand loads fine tuned where as I shoot many MOA's at 100 yards.
NOW MY QUESTION IS: How firmly do you individuals grip your rifle at the time you touch off a round when shooting from a bench rest??? I'll appreciate and comments and suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2147 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

I use a Light pressure grip to support the rifle, but the other issue is as follows. I always have the butt plate or stock plate of the weapon solidly (Contact) against my shoulder. Was the butt of the rifle/stock firmly against your shoulder? *Not overly but just solidly in good contact against your shoulder. Or could you have been slightly out of position (Maybe leaning a little too far forward on the bench allowing the rifle to jump slightly therefore causing what you referred to as a Bump Fire. If you should pay close attention to the above and still be having sporadic double-ups it simply could be that your disconnector spring is getting weak and needs replaced. This will also occur in the AR-15s if the spring gets weak. It is an easy fix!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thanks, Sniper03, for your response. I probably did not have firm contact of the butt plate against my shoulder. Also, for some reason Monday, I couldn't seem to aquire my normal comfortable shooting position. I hadn't thought about that until I read your reply. I contacted the GunDoc (Great Western Gunsmithing) about this problem and he said that one of the reasons for this, could be a weak Secondary Sear Spring, which I have ordered from Brownells. Im planning to go to the range on Monday after I get off work, but since it's my birthday (21st. of May, 74 years young), I can't guareentee it. I'll keep this thead updated.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

I would have suggested a sear issue but a rifle bounce is a possibility.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2147 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOUNG MAN!
May you have a great day!

There are still several of us here on the FTF the same age as Jack Benny!
"""39""""

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy