Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Shooting Bags (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/shooting-bags-102492/)

RSilvernail79 01-07-2014 07:53 PM

Shooting Bags

Hey guys I just ordered some shooting bags and I apparently did not realize they came empty. What does everyone recommend I fill them with?

Thank you!

RGS

Sniper03 01-07-2014 08:34 PM

RGS,

I had my wife make me some from some Camo Material I purchased from Walmart. I wanted something light to carry since I also use them for Deer Hunting up in the stand during season.
So I designed the size of the bag to fit a large plastic bag of rice from the grocery store. Leaving the rice in the plastic bags placed the rice bags in the new shooting bags and had her sew them up. At the present they are three years old and going strong. I use them on my shooting bench as well as for hunting. It depends of course on how large and what dimension your bags are if this technique would work or not. I also can carry them very easily anywhere I want. I have a large shoestring with a cinch loop on each end. I simply place the the first bag in the middle of the loop and cinch it snug. Put one on the other bag and hang them over my shoulder or around my neck when carrying or climbing up into the stand.
Inexpensive and works well. Some guys also do the same with a bag of beans from the grocery! I could have had my wife sew short straps with rings on each of the bags and had a strap with a snap hook on each end. Maybe next time! :)

JTJ 01-07-2014 11:18 PM

I also use rice but there are other things. Some use shot or sand but that is heavy. Great if you are not carrying them around. Air soft BB's work too and are very light. I used to carry a Styrofoam bead filled camo seat when I hunted. Doubled as a shooting bag and sure beat sitting on a bare stump or rock.

Mercator 01-07-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1477329)
I also use rice but there are other things. Some use shot or sand but that is heavy. Great if you are not carrying them around. Air soft BB's work too and are very light. I used to carry a Styrofoam bead filled camo seat when I hunted. Doubled as a shooting bag and sure beat sitting on a bare stump or rock.

Larger caliber, longer range, bigger X scope ---> heavier rest. I'd fill it with shot for sighting in anyway, might save you ammo. Then play by ear.

JTJ 01-08-2014 12:57 AM

I do have 3 range bags filed with sand but they are heavy. Ok when you are going just a few feet from the car to the bench. the bags on my Caldwell rests and rear bags are filled with rice. I can squeeze the rear bag to make small adjustments.

Bigcountry02 01-08-2014 04:32 AM

You can use bird sand from a pet store, Petsmart or Petco.

AR10 01-08-2014 06:11 AM

Sand (could not resist)

JTJ 01-08-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 (Post 1477568)
You can use bird sand from a pet store, Petsmart or Petco.

Dont you need to filter that first?:D

MoHawk 01-08-2014 03:24 PM

Use that super lightweight kitty litter....

Biohazard2 01-08-2014 11:31 PM

Walmart has small bags of small plastic balls in the fabric section that will be enough to fill your bag.
Lightweight and water resistant.