Shooting advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Shooting advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragecage23 View Post
The gun fits me fine. It doesn't feel or seem too big in my hands, although I have thought about getting a new trigger for it so there isn't such long of a pull.
The comment of mine was related to the chart in the post I linked, not a comment on size, though I have heard disparaging comments about Glock owners.

The long trigger pull is for safety due to the lack of a manual safety.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts

I had the same problem with my Sig Pro duty gun and my personal Glocks although a bit more than what you are experiencing. On a human shaped target at 15 yards, if I aimed at the center, the rounds would hit on the left edge. My long double action pulls on the Sig were dead on but single action shots went way left.
The cause? When I pulled the trigger, my wrist was curling to the left as I was trying to anticipate recoil and use wrist muscles to both help pull the trigger and control the recoil. On the double action pull, I focused on using my finger and the bang was a surprise as it should be so it ended up being more accurate.
If I make a fist with my right (shooting) hand and point my finger out and then slowly curl my finger back towards me, my wrist bends to the left. This is my issue and may be yours.
My solution was to practice trigger pulls with proper placement of my finger on the trigger so I pull straight back instead of curling my wrist.

You have a nice group so it very well may be your sights!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
You could try putting more trigger finger around the trigger. It's what I have to do with every hand gun I pick up, especially guns with a long double action pull.

But your group is good, judging by a 100 round group, so simply adjusting your sights like has already been mentioned might be a better route.

It would be a great idea to get a critique on your stance like your talking about doing. Simply pointing the toes on one foot at a slight angle can make a world of difference, good or bad.
When I shoot I have the pad of my finger, closer to the joint on the trigger. Is this too much or too little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

The comment of mine was related to the chart in the post I linked, not a comment on size, though I have heard disparaging comments about Glock owners.

The long trigger pull is for safety due to the lack of a manual safety.
I think I'm missing something haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
I had the same problem with my Sig Pro duty gun and my personal Glocks although a bit more than what you are experiencing. On a human shaped target at 15 yards, if I aimed at the center, the rounds would hit on the left edge. My long double action pulls on the Sig were dead on but single action shots went way left.
The cause? When I pulled the trigger, my wrist was curling to the left as I was trying to anticipate recoil and use wrist muscles to both help pull the trigger and control the recoil. On the double action pull, I focused on using my finger and the bang was a surprise as it should be so it ended up being more accurate.
If I make a fist with my right (shooting) hand and point my finger out and then slowly curl my finger back towards me, my wrist bends to the left. This is my issue and may be yours.
My solution was to practice trigger pulls with proper placement of my finger on the trigger so I pull straight back instead of curling my wrist.

You have a nice group so it very well may be your sights!
My wrist bends to the left as well. When I practice with snap caps I don't see any jerk with the muzzle so I am leaning towards my sights. I'm still going to get someone to look at my stance because maybe I could improve there too.

I edited my very first post with another picture and the distances for each picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7647 Times on 4595 Posts
Likes Given: 9566

That is some mighty fine shooting. I think it's your sights.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Thanks. I just need to find an armory that has a range as well.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Thanks, now I just need to find an armory that has a range too.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Going back to what an earlier commenter said, let a couple of other people shoot the gun. I have a Ruger 22/45 that I consistently shot high and left. I let my wife and father-in-law shoot it, and they both came in high and left. I let a couple of other friends shoot it — high and left. So I drifted the rear sight over. No more shooting left. It still shoots a bit high, but I can deal with that.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #18

Liked 2381 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragecage23 View Post
Thanks, now I just need to find an armory that has a range too.
All you need is hammer and a delrin plastic drift (punch). Lay the gun on it's right side after you have verified that it is unloaded and put some padding down for it. Put the punch on the left side of the rear sight and drift it to the right just a little bit. Fire another group and fine tune it.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59
Going back to what an earlier commenter said, let a couple of other people shoot the gun. I have a Ruger 22/45 that I consistently shot high and left. I let my wife and father-in-law shoot it, and they both came in high and left. I let a couple of other friends shoot it — high and left. So I drifted the rear sight over. No more shooting left. It still shoots a bit high, but I can deal with that.
The people that I have gone to the range with can't shoot a consistent group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

All you need is hammer and a delrin plastic drift (punch). Lay the gun on it's right side after you have verified that it is unloaded and put some padding down for it. Put the punch on the left side of the rear sight and drift it to the right just a little bit. Fire another group and fine tune it.
I'm a little iffy about doing it myself though.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #20

Liked 355 Times on 203 Posts

Do you hold the gun like this?image-849062176.jpg
image-2162048750.jpg

Do you avoid these?image-3425990251.jpg
image-2908820577.jpg
image-3144792107.jpg
image-3161602787.jpg

And which sight image are you using?image-1949339647.jpg

image-1064465372.jpg  

Last edited by indy36; 06-25-2013 at 02:25 AM.