Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Shooting advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I went to the range yesterday and shot about 100 rounds with my Glock 21. I can't seem to bring my grouping more to the right. I always shoot left.

The first time I shot my grouping was high and left (second picture [15 yards]). Now I shot yesterday and this is what I got (first picture [12.5 yards])

Any suggestions as to how I can correct the problem?

image-569465317.jpg   image-2273237690.jpg  

Last edited by ragecage23; 06-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #2

Liked 734 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragecage23 View Post
I went to the range yesterday and shot about 100 rounds with my Glock 21. I can't seem to bring my grouping more to the right. I always shoot left.

The first time I shot my grouping was high and left. Now I shot yesterday and this is what I got.

Any suggestions as to how I can correct the problem?
Wait for a cease-fire, go down , and move your target a little bit to the left.......

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Wait for a cease-fire, go down , and move your target a little bit to the left.......
Beat me to it!

But seriously, have you let anybody else try the pistol; could your sights be in need of adjustment?

Also, review the chart on post #5 (different for lefty's). http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/m-p-9mm-pattern-74660/#post982995 Could your trigger finger be a bit small?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-18-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #4

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Change your POA, till your POI is where you

want it to be?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Grouping is fine, so it is not your shooting basics. A lot of new Glock owners shoot low and to left. They are anticipating recoil of a light polymer gun. You are just shooting left. You would miss the target to the left further down range though. Adjust rear sight more to the right. I would like to add that I personally have some crazy eyes, and have to add a little Kentucky windage when firing guns. My irons, Holographic, red dot and scope are adjusted further right for me to hit dead center. Most people would shoot left of dead center with my guns.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Beat me to it!

But seriously, have you let anybody else try the pistol; could your sights be in need of adjustment?

Also, review the chart on post #5 (different for lefty's). http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/m-p-9mm-pattern-74660/#post982995 Could your trigger finger be a bit small?
The gun fits me fine. It doesn't feel or seem too big in my hands, although I have thought about getting a new trigger for it so there isn't such long of a pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Grouping is fine, so it is not your shooting basics. A lot of new Glock owners shoot low and to left. They are anticipating recoil of a light polymer gun. You are just shooting left. You would miss the target to the left further down range though. Adjust rear sight more to the right. I would like to add that I personally have some crazy eyes, and have to add a little Kentucky windage when firing guns. My irons, Holographic, red dot and scope are adjusted further right for me to hit dead center. Most people would shoot left of dead center with my guns.
The picture was at 12 and a half yards. This is my first gun so I haven't shot an all metal handgun before. And the guy I let shoot before couldn't hit anything, so that doesn't help me. I'll see about the sights though. I thought I was jerking the trigger, but I was taking my time with each shot to slowly pull it.

Last edited by ragecage23; 06-19-2013 at 01:28 AM.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Low and left....been there, done that.

Yep, I often times hit low and left too. It happens when I rush the shot.

But on a more serious note regarding handguns, try loosening your grip a bit. It's hard to describe...but your finger tips should not be tight on the grip but rather more the palms and your fingers out to the first knuckle (out from your palm). Low and left is common with a grip that is too tight. When I get in a hurry, mine start doing that too and I have to really focus on my grip. I also had a slight problem with my stance. I was blading off too much to the right, which also contributed to my shooting left (not realizing that I was pulling too hard with my support hand while my strong arm was too compressed). An instructor at my last class corrected me on that one.

Anyway, you'll get it....it just takes time and practice. Sometimes a lesson or two with a good instructor can be well worth the $$ spent when compared to lots of bullets flying down range and you still not getting it right while experimenting on your own. Something to consider.

Stu
www.stu-offroad.com

Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj
Yep, I often times hit low and left too. It happens when I rush the shot.

But on a more serious note regarding handguns, try loosening your grip a bit. It's hard to describe...but your finger tips should not be tight on the grip but rather more the palms and your fingers out to the first knuckle (out from your palm). Low and left is common with a grip that is too tight. When I get in a hurry, mine start doing that too and I have to really focus on my grip. I also had a slight problem with my stance. I was blading off too much to the right, which also contributed to my shooting left (not realizing that I was pulling too hard with my support hand while my strong arm was too compressed). An instructor at my last class corrected me on that one.

Anyway, you'll get it....it just takes time and practice. Sometimes a lesson or two with a good instructor can be well worth the $$ spent when compared to lots of bullets flying down range and you still not getting it right while experimenting on your own. Something to consider.
I didn't even think about my stance. I haven't had anyone teach me anything on how to shoot. I just go off of what I've seen for a few shows (mainly top shot) I'll ask a range master and maybe (s)he could give me a few pointers.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #9

Liked 1656 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

I agree with Jagermiester. That is not a bad group. There are only a few fliers. As long as your rounds are all going the same place, I would be prone to think it was your sights. I would adjust the rear sight just a tiny bit at a time until you are centered. Then I would move it out a little further, say 25 yards...just to see if you are still in the ball park.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You could try putting more trigger finger around the trigger. It's what I have to do with every hand gun I pick up, especially guns with a long double action pull.

But your group is good, judging by a 100 round group, so simply adjusting your sights like has already been mentioned might be a better route.

It would be a great idea to get a critique on your stance like your talking about doing. Simply pointing the toes on one foot at a slight angle can make a world of difference, good or bad.