Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Range Report (
-   -   Sellier & Bellot ammo not allow at gun range. (

rccalzadilla 10-26-2011 06:31 PM

Sellier & Bellot ammo not allow at gun range.
Sellier & Bellot .45acp FMJ ammunition is not allowed at gun range. When asked why, they say that they had a fired cartridge set their range carpet on fire. Carpet still there so it did not cause great damage.
I had other three brands of 45acp FMJ which were allowed.

The range in Miami, Florida:
Ace's Gun Range & Pro Gun Shop Inc.
2105 Northwest 102nd Place
Doral, FL 33172-2519
(305) 717-3277

trip286 10-26-2011 06:35 PM

Many of us have good experience with Sellier and Bellot. I use it myself. I would be tempted to put it into a different box and rock n roll with it.

That's my opinion though, and I'm usually more inclined to respect the wishes of property owners. Therefor, I'd likely find a different range, or some other place to shoot.

I've only shot on two actual "ranges" There's an indoor/outdoor range in Jacksonville NC where I was stationed, and then the skeet range at the AFB in Charleston SC. All the rest of my shooting has been on private property.

Overkill0084 10-26-2011 06:40 PM

They have carpeting at the firing points? Perhaps that's the problem, not any particular brand of ammo.
I haven't shot much Sellier & Bellot ammo, but I don't recall it being remarkably flame producing, at least no worse than other full strength stuff.

trip286 10-26-2011 06:44 PM

There was carpeting at the indoor range I used to go to. It didn't cause any problems and was actually quite nice.

Overkill0084 10-26-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 611269)
There was carpeting at the indoor range I used to go to. It didn't cause any problems and was actually quite nice.

Fire Hazard aside ;), I would imagine that it would be a PITA to keep clean.

purehavoc 10-26-2011 06:53 PM

Thats what I like to run thru my 9mm , although i dont have any issues with anything else those just seem more accurate in it

JonM 10-26-2011 06:54 PM

Any bullet can start a fire. They start all the time on military ranges from plain fmj ammo. Bullets are very very hot when they hit a target. So if any bullet lodges just right its possible to cause fires.

Whats more liekly is the shooter was using tracer and blamed it the S&B.

rccalzadilla 10-26-2011 07:16 PM

Well it just seems, to me, that they are over reacting to one incident. But, it's their range.

Mack Bolan 10-26-2011 09:20 PM

My only experience with that is at a range here in Aurora, IL where the guy doesn't allow any non american made ammo and he even insists on checking ammo containers you bring in with you...

they have that thin carpet in the booths and lane area, but i'm not aware of any fire incidents due to bad ammo.

it actually is a nice range despite the owners finicky nature at times, i have caught him in better moods when he sent me home with some unused targets....

orangello 10-26-2011 09:26 PM

I wonder if the carpet is there to preserve the empties?