Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Second trip to the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6920

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I gotta say, those targets look well-perforated. I doubt i did as well with mine on the second trip.

Have you considered a speedloader for a quicker reload, in a self-defense situation? It is just a little gizmo that holds 6 rounds in position to load all 6 rounds at one time. It takes some practice to be able to use them quickly; i'm working on that part.
Well, I shot about 80 rounds and I sure don't think I see 80 holes on those targets. Thanks for the compliment but I'm sure I did a lot of 'misses' along with those 'hits'.

Thank you for the suggestion, too. Yes, I did buy a speed loader but to be honest, I haven't tried it yet. I do have snap caps to practice those sorts of things at home and to dry shoot my gun with. I will make that my "homework" until the next time at the range. But now that I think about it, I won't practice speedloading with the snap caps. They are pretty light. I'll use live rounds. They certainly have more weight behind them.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-22-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: afterthought

Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Wow! 25 yards! that is pretty darn good shooting.

If those were bad guys they would definitly be dead!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Winds, close in is around 7 to 15 yards. Much closer and you can bash 'em with that hand cannon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Wow! 25 yards! that is pretty darn good shooting.

If those were bad guys they would definitly be dead!
Is it 'cheating' that I shot some of those rounds with my arms resting on the bench? I also feel I'm kind of 'cheating' when I use single action vs. double action. Are there any "rules" for bragging rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Winds, close in is around 7 to 15 yards. Much closer and you can bash 'em with that hand cannon.
I'll do that next time I go to the range.

When I visited a friend in California he took me to an outdoor range. I mostly shot rifles. I particularly fell in love with the Uzi. I started with a row of metal targets 50 yds. out and started at one end and tried to shoot along the line of targets. I got 5 in a row before I missed. I could hear my friend laughing behind me. I was also able to hit a 10" target at 100 yds. with an SKS, but I did have to sit and rest my elbows on the bench because I found that gun kind of heavy for me. I had the time of my life in California and with my friend and his guns. Who'd of ever thought the words "fun with guns" and "California" would all be in one sentence? My friend always told me Cali isn't a very gun friendly state. I'm beginning to see what he means from what I read here.

I'm telling you all, I'm having a whole lot of fun with my Ruger revolver.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Maintained properly, that Ruger will be in the family for generations and still be going strong.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=winds-of-change;355613]Is it 'cheating' that I shot some of those rounds with my arms resting on the bench? I also feel I'm kind of 'cheating' when I use single action vs. double action. Are there any "rules" for bragging rights?

QUOTE]

I dont think so....thats just learning! Also in a practical situation, if there were a car there, wouldnt you post up on the hood or roof to steady yourself and give you protection?

No for bragging rights, over your shoulder using a mirror, bounce it of three walls and hit the bullseye! Just kidding (Kids dont try this at home).

No rules around here.....I think as you can see all of us are proud of you! cant wait to see what the third trip to the range brings!!!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Maintained properly, that Ruger will be in the family for generations and still be going strong.
I agree. My friend thought it was a sturdy, reliable gun for a first time owner. Also pretty basic and simple to use. Easy to be sure it's not loaded. I think he suggested a great first gun for me. Except now I want a rifle and a semi-auto. Good thing I don't have any extra money right now.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #18
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5633 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Except now I want a rifle and a semi-auto. Good thing I don't have any extra money right now.
I continue to resist the urge to buy a lever-action rifle chambered in .357 mag, but it ain't easy. I keep telling myself it just wouldn't be practical. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=417584&pdesc=Rossi_44_Mag_w/20_Octagon_Blue_Barrel/Case_Harden_Receiver/Walnut_Stock&aID=510A3&merchID=4006

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 09-22-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I continue to resist the urge to buy a lever-action rifle chambered in .357 mag, but it ain't easy. I keep telling myself it just wouldn't be practical.

Maybe not practical but FUN!! My kids are grown and gone.......it's time for me to have FUN!!! Oh, I forgot to mention I also want a snubbie revolver, too. My kids think I've gone crazy.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 430 Times on 230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention I also want a snubbie revolver, too.
Look into an LCR(Elsie Arrr) can't go wrong there. The wife really likes her Rugers.