Scrapy's Goes to the Range
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Scrapy's Goes to the Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Scrapy's Goes to the Range

So Scrapy's (the pieced together AR-15) first range trip wasn't ideal, by any means, but it was acceptable.

First round of the Day. . . it shot! . . then that was it. It failed to fully cycle (short stroke). So I manually cycled and pulled again . . . CLICK ! No fire. So I checked the cartridge and discovered a primer strike. . . a very shallow primer strike. (keep in mind, the gun DID pass all of the safety tests before even loading) I continued through the manual cycling and occasional clicks, until I got a zero, then began to inspect the gun.

Lucky for me the owner of the range drove his pickup around the area during this time and stopped to lend a hand. We came to the conclusion that the hammer spring was weak. We compared it to another AR and it was at most half as strong.

The spring was changed (DPMS field repair kit) and I loaded another mag. I got about 5-6 rounds into the mag and I'd get an empty chamber or a double feed.

We think (hope) it is a mag issue (AR stoner SS). The feed lips on that particular mag were uneven. I had the most success with a Magpul MOE and even a Magpul with a Nordic 48 round extension installed. But then I ran out of good ammo and it didn't like the Silver Bear that I had. . . that kind of bothers me, because my other ARs eat it up, so I bought a couple cases. Now I'm gonna have to keep testing, which I really don't enjoy. . .

So it wasn't all that bad for a bunch of spare parts and my luck, which isn't so good usually.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Even if you have to throw another $100 at it, you still have an inexpensive beater there. I'll keep watching the continuing saga of "crapy, the Lonesome AR"

Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Bummer...
Agreed with what dunerunner said.
My first build(a month ago or so) seemed to go quite well the first time I shot mine, However mine was a kit from one MFG and I added a lower.
Best of luck

Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It seems that you're down to the smaller issues now. Just keep tweaking and you're there.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Even if you have to throw another $100 at it, you still have an inexpensive beater there. I'll keep watching the continuing saga of "crapy, the Lonesome AR"
There will be no $100 throwing here. . . that's not how Scrapy rolls. The hammer (which just doesn't look right) will be replaced with a stock Double Star once my trigger in another lower is replaced with Spike's battle trigger, so Scrapy ONLY uses recycled parts. You might say he is "Scrapy The Green AR".

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6734 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

since your barrel is a spare did you check headspace??? that can cause all the issues your facing if its worn. usually not a problem on new or lightly used ARs.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent