Scariest + most awesome day. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Scariest + most awesome day.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
007BondJamesBond007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan,Michigan
Posts: 428
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
As it states, today was not only the scariest time going to the range, but also one of the best time so far.

To start off, let's go with the scariest part of the day.
Me and my girl were able to take a friends rifle out, I'm not to sure if it actually is or not, but says it is in fact a Remington 700.
The gun it's self isn't in to bad I shape, especially the stock.
The entire rifle is at least 30~ years old.

To get to the "good" part of this freaky story, I was sighting it in and everything was going just fine. Least for the first two shots.
The third round chambered jut fine with out a hitch at all, here's where it get interesting. I pulled the trigger, nothing. I thought maybe I left the safety on so checked, it was off but to make sure I flicked it on then back off, still nothing. Since my only other thought was that I might of some how not cycled it properly, I popped the bolt up then locked it back down. That let the round fly down range. Being a little iffy, I cycled for the fourth round and once again, nothing. Figuring it would be the same issue, I went for the bolt, with out even so much as a finger in the trigger guard, let alone near it, the rifle went off. Needles to say, I'm not a fan of having a 7mm Rem Mag firing when ever it feels like, so that got unloaded (dropped the floor plate) and put away pretty quick.

Now, the best part of the day, least in my eyes.
When me and my girl got down there there was already a few people down there doing their own thing. Me being the guy that I am, I noticed someone had an M14 out. Now since that is one of my all time favorite rifles of all time, I had to see if he was alright with me shooting a couple round though it.

He gave me the okay as we'll as two loaded 5round mags (max round count for Canada per mag -_- ) as well as a quick run down since I told him I had never fired one before. After showing me where the mag release, safety and bolt locks are he pretty much told me to go have fun. Needles to say, I felt like a kid in a candy shop, it's by far the coolest firearm I've ever shot in my life.


The smallest group is my second mag, its also after I got used to the trigger. Sadly it was only done at 25yards. He had a scope mounted but I only cought the fact it was a 3-9 and that's it.

All in all I think I did good since before that I've only fired a couple of .22LRs, two 12gauges and that 7mm. (which I refuse to fire at all until he shows me that it's totally clean.)

(would also just like to say that I still had to 7mm shouldered and pointing downrange when it discharged)
I had that happened to me. I sent the gun back to Remington and they replaced the trigger. Not sure if that fixed it and will be careful cycling the bolt.
__________________

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

007BondJamesBond007 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Magnaiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 35
Default

My cousin had the same problem jus after buy'n the gun. He had some problems with send'n it back an it do'n the same as before when he got the gun. He traded it off but we stay far away from the 700s but not all seem 2 have a problem have a few friends that have no problems what so ever.

__________________
Magnaiter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

sometimes the problem with the M700's is lack of proper cleaning and maintenance, then also some wannabe "gunsmith" adjusting the trigger pull, and not properly doing a safety check afterwards. of the many, many M700's i have owned over the years, i have never personally had this problem. the remington M700 is one of the safest rifles there is, IMO. using proper gun safety practices, if you were to have that one in a million bad M700, will keep everyone safe. the most important safety feature of any firearm, is the person handling it.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'll be sure to pass your guys advice off to Jack, that way he can get it all figured out. I'll also suggest he cleans it, even though I already did when I returned the rifle to him.

If none of that works, I know for sure that he has a gunsmith/seller that he likes going to, so if he doesn't already have thoughts too, I'll suggest that too.

__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
As it states, today was not only the scariest time going to the range, but also one of the best time so far.

To start off, let's go with the scariest part of the day.
Me and my girl were able to take a friends rifle out, I'm not to sure if it actually is or not, but says it is in fact a Remington 700.
The gun it's self isn't in to bad I shape, especially the stock.
The entire rifle is at least 30~ years old.

To get to the "good" part of this freaky story, I was sighting it in and everything was going just fine. Least for the first two shots.
The third round chambered jut fine with out a hitch at all, here's where it get interesting. I pulled the trigger, nothing. I thought maybe I left the safety on so checked, it was off but to make sure I flicked it on then back off, still nothing. Since my only other thought was that I might of some how not cycled it properly, I popped the bolt up then locked it back down. That let the round fly down range. Being a little iffy, I cycled for the fourth round and once again, nothing. Figuring it would be the same issue, I went for the bolt, with out even so much as a finger in the trigger guard, let alone near it, the rifle went off. Needles to say, I'm not a fan of having a 7mm Rem Mag firing when ever it feels like, so that got unloaded (dropped the floor plate) and put away pretty quick.

Now, the best part of the day, least in my eyes.
When me and my girl got down there there was already a few people down there doing their own thing. Me being the guy that I am, I noticed someone had an M14 out. Now since that is one of my all time favorite rifles of all time, I had to see if he was alright with me shooting a couple round though it.

He gave me the okay as we'll as two loaded 5round mags (max round count for Canada per mag -_- ) as well as a quick run down since I told him I had never fired one before. After showing me where the mag release, safety and bolt locks are he pretty much told me to go have fun. Needles to say, I felt like a kid in a candy shop, it's by far the coolest firearm I've ever shot in my life.

The smallest group is my second mag, its also after I got used to the trigger. Sadly it was only done at 25yards. He had a scope mounted but I only cought the fact it was a 3-9 and that's it.

All in all I think I did good since before that I've only fired a couple of .22LRs, two 12gauges and that 7mm. (which I refuse to fire at all until he shows me that it's totally clean.)

(would also just like to say that I still had to 7mm shouldered and pointing downrange when it discharged)
I'd have the rifle inspected, as Tack advised.

You just proved how even when faced with an unsafe situation, the rules of firearm safety work. 100% of the time. Great job.

As to your target, that's some purty good shootin' there, cowboy.
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

I'd have the rifle inspected, as Tack advised.

You just proved how even when faced with an unsafe situation, the rules of firearm safety work. 100% of the time. Great job.

As to your target, that's some purty good shootin' there, cowboy.
I'm thinking it really just needs a good cleaning. Jack has told me that he doesn't clean his .22 until it begins to have troubles feeding. I should of taken that as a sign that he may treat all his firearms in a similar manner.

But I do agree, if you follow them, the rules work very well indeed.

Haha thanks.
Just wish I was able to push the target farther out by since the owner placed it at the 25yard table, I didn't wunna be a butt head move it to another spot. I am for sure getting one.....just need to save the money up first.
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
The 700 Remington has had this problem from the begining. There have been a number of deadly accidents with this rifles saftey problem. They have paid the largest settlements ever paid by a firearms co. There was a one hour TV Doc. made on this very problem. The Engineer who designed this rifle testified against the dangers of his own design.
True.

It has been lab tested and a few suits settled out of court.

This was a problem in the past and a reason for the new X trigger.
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wyoming
Posts: 1,799
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

This has nothing to do with cleaning or gunsmiths. This has been an on going problem with this rifle. I had it happen while hunting Javalina some years ago. The rifle was not dirty and no gunsmith had worked on it. Make all the excuses you like but if you have a 700 becareful with it.

__________________
Durangokid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
This has nothing to do with cleaning or gunsmiths. This has been an on going problem with this rifle. I had it happen while hunting Javalina some years ago. The rifle was not dirty and no gunsmith had worked on it. Make all the excuses you like but if you have a 700 becareful with it.
But I refuse to do any research myself so I'm going to continue to draw assumptions of my own. Never mind all the documented proof available to anyone not to lazy to look.

And don't you dare say such things about my Remington!

(sarcasm)
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

That's a little bit of a let down, I was actually hoping to get one at some point. Only thing I didn't like about it, not counting that accidental/random discharge, was that the 7mm has to much kick for my liking. The recoil pad did help out a whole heck of a lot though.

__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger's customer service is AWESOME ....S&W, not so awesome spittinfire The Club House 12 05-22-2011 03:22 AM
Scariest Man Alive Benning Boy The Club House 69 01-04-2011 07:50 PM
Awesome, just awesome ..... dog2000tj The Club House 11 01-10-2010 04:59 AM
We are Awesome.................... IGETEVEN The Club House 16 01-08-2010 12:30 PM
FTF Awards: Scariest Mofo Benning Boy The Club House 36 12-14-2009 03:40 PM