Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Savage .17HMR range report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage .17HMR range report

Long overdue I know but I finally made it out to the range with my Savage 93R17 and as it was the first time I've shot a .17HMR rifle I have to say I'm very impressed with it.

It took me a while to get the scope dialed in correctly, in the end a very helpful guy at the range helped me as he could tell I was getting frustrated but when it was on target so was I.

This first target was for the final sighting in, you can see two stray shots on the right where the final scope adjustments were just off. After that I just enjoyed myself destroying the center of the target at 50 yards...

This next target was the following week when I went back. The four 5 shot groups in the corners were me trying to improve my aim and see what I could actually do, again at 50 yards. Those and the above target were all with 17gr v-max. The center of this target were with 20gr xtp hollow points and I found them to shoot 1 inch high compared to the 17gr v-max at 50 yards, the center hits were me aiming 1 inch below center. I tried them partly because they were a little cheaper per box but also because I want to try all the different rounds available for my rifle. Glad I did but I wont bother with them again...

This final target was with the 17gr v-max again but this time at 100 yards, first time I've shot at that distance so I was pretty pleased with my results...

Overall I'm very pleased with my efforts and the rifle. I know the rifle can shoot a hell of a lot better than I can but I know with a few more trips to the range and the bench rest I've now picked up I can improve.

Total now I've put 250 rounds through the rifle with zero malfunctions or fail to fires.
The only problem I did find was with two of the magazines. I have the two stainless ones that came with the rifle and two black ones I picked up later and both of those didn't like to seat in all the way like the stainless ones. They are genuine Savage items but I found on the side the tabs where they are held together were sitting slightly higher with sharper edges so a quick rub with a metal file and now no problems.

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #2

Oh this last photo is of my 18month old "helping" me clean the rifle after the first range trip, ahhhh bless

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Nice shooting.

Cute kid.

Thanks for the report.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Nice shootin. I loved my 93R17, shouldn't have gotten rid of it. Once you get some more practice, you should be able to put those groups at 200 yards.

How does the baby drool fair as lube on your bolt?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!