Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Savage 10fp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Savage 10fp

One week after my first trip with the new savage got rained out 4 rounds in, the clouds finally parted and I made my way back up the mountain. It was still pretty chilly up there, but the range was a good 500 feet below the snow line, so I stayed nice and dry and didn't get too much frostbite
I'l start off by saying that I can't wait for the cheek rest Lon sold me to get here. The scope is WAY too high, and at the moment I'm making due by gripping the top of the buttstock with my left hand and resting my cheek on my knuckles. It gets the job done, but it's not the most stable, consistent or comfortable way to do it.
My "range" is a pit in the side of a mountain, and there really isn't more than 75 yards of flat ground, so I had to set my targets up the hill a little ways and guesstimate the distance. I'll be the first to say that I'm really bad at estimating distances, so I could have been shooting at 80 yds, I could have been shooting at 150. I don't know , but I was trying to get it right about 100.

My targets are circled in red.
img-20110221-00043.jpg

My first group was decent, I suppose, but I was a little disappointed. By the fourth target, 13-16th rounds, I felt like I was on the right track. This is four rounds, one flyer and one hole missing. Evidently the fourth round was either through a previous hole or WAY off.
img-20110221-00041.jpg

I set up some different targets, thinking maybe I could draw a bead on a red circle better than an orange square, but I didn't see a great deal of improvement. I also switched to the 10 round magazine and started shooting 5 round groups.
These are two of the following four targets. In both, there seems to be three relatively tight shots and two pretty wide. The three in the bottom target that made one ragged hole are about what I expect of the rifle. Now I need to get the shooter's act together and start printing some 5-shot-one-hole targets
img-20110221-00046.jpg
img-20110221-00047.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the rifle. I can't say anything about the smoothness of the action or anything like that, because this is my first foray into the world of the precision bolt gun. The scope, a BEAST with a 35mm tube and 56mm objective, seems plenty clear and crisp. I couldn't detect any difference in light between scoped-view and unfettered vision. I may end up switching the scope out for something with the same magnification and less bulk.

Savage gets a 9.2 from this virgin.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Glad you like it. I'm still waiting for some sunshine when the Coast Guard doesn't have the range reserved for training all day to get my Savage 10FCP out to the range.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 02-22-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That looks pretty good for a new rifle. Both you and it will do better as you get used to each other.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Looking good. You get the cheek rest yet? How you liking that rifle?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice shooting, I like your shooting spot.