Earlier this year I bought an XLR chassis for my Savage 10 that I was building to use in a local sporting rifle match but a job transfer has changed that a bit.
Before my move I was able to get to my home range and get it sighted. I have been meaning to put up a report for some time but I'm still getting settled from my cross-country move. In the mean time I got to the new range to see what differences I might find ... blah blah blah ... on to my report.
Ammo- .308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Sierra BTHP
Temp- 71 deg (humidity 10%)
Range Elevation - 5580' (Density altitude 8114')
Wind - Steady 5 mph right to left
100 yard target - zeroing/5 shot groups, off bench with bipod
I put up two targets side by side. The left target center was my initial attempt to zero (1st round was the high right). The upper left was my first 5 shot group (disregard the damage on the bottom 1/2, it is shrapnel from an adjacent shooter).
The target on the right shows two more 5 shot groups. I am less than satisfied with these group but knew it was due to poor performance on my part more than the rifle.
Left target- upper left
Right target -center
Right target -upper left
I found a range here in GA with a 200 yard max, here are the results of that day
Ammo - .308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Sierra BTHP
Temp- 80 deg (humidity 73%)
Range Elevation - 990' (Density altitude 2803')
Wind - light and variable, 3-5 mph (no factor due to trees)
200 yard target - 5 shot groups, prone with bipod
It was a bit busy and I needed to get time on several rifles. So I set up my .223 at 100 yds and then jumped to the .308 at 200 yds .. still zero'd at 100 so I did a quick come up based on old data (too much). Center group was first and I f'd up when I rolled out too much elevation before I shot upper right
Shown with a quarter for scale
I was very pleased with the results at 200
. A bit better job on my part and those groups will shrink (and I need to think before I twist the dials