Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Savage 10 FCP-SR: The Good and the Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I appreciate the info. I live in the great state of VT so I don't have to worry too much about mag capacity. I may just say the hell with it and take out the lever gun for deer next year. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot this beast yet, but just from a little "air guitar" action I can tell right off I don't want to haul this around on a stalk hunt. I hate acting like the idiot noob, and I did do as much home work as I could before the deal but I took a leap of faith because I like Savage, and for $700 I can't do too bad since it has a decent scope. Are there any particular issues/problems that are common to this model?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

I find it to be a lightweight rifle despite it's length.

All you need for a round limiter for hunting is a block of wood that fits inside the spring. Most states limit capacity for hunting.

Biggest issue with savages and most factory rifles is different torque on the front and rear action screws. Having uneven or different torque values can have as much as 2 moa affect on accuracy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

John_Deer Likes This 
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1386 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I find it to be a lightweight rifle despite it's length.

All you need for a round limiter for hunting is a block of wood that fits inside the spring. Most states limit capacity for hunting.

Biggest issue with savages and most factory rifles is different torque on the front and rear action screws. Having uneven or different torque values can have as much as 2 moa affect on accuracy.
You are dead on there. I made a kit similar to the Volquartsen Bedding System for a Ruger 10/22 for my Marlin XT-22MR. Before I installed the bedding I was hitting a 2" target every shot without fail at 100 yards. I had to reset the scope even though I used the same torque settings. The gun is back on target now.

The mud is going to have to dry out before I can shoot the gun enough to see if the bedding is an improvement. I was wearing a path in my pasture before I got the scope set.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato