Savage 10 FCP-SR: The Good and the Bad - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Savage 10 FCP-SR: The Good and the Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I appreciate the info. I live in the great state of VT so I don't have to worry too much about mag capacity. I may just say the hell with it and take out the lever gun for deer next year. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot this beast yet, but just from a little "air guitar" action I can tell right off I don't want to haul this around on a stalk hunt. I hate acting like the idiot noob, and I did do as much home work as I could before the deal but I took a leap of faith because I like Savage, and for $700 I can't do too bad since it has a decent scope. Are there any particular issues/problems that are common to this model?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 3549 Posts
Likes Given: 502

I find it to be a lightweight rifle despite it's length.

All you need for a round limiter for hunting is a block of wood that fits inside the spring. Most states limit capacity for hunting.

Biggest issue with savages and most factory rifles is different torque on the front and rear action screws. Having uneven or different torque values can have as much as 2 moa affect on accuracy.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 AM   #13

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I find it to be a lightweight rifle despite it's length.

All you need for a round limiter for hunting is a block of wood that fits inside the spring. Most states limit capacity for hunting.

Biggest issue with savages and most factory rifles is different torque on the front and rear action screws. Having uneven or different torque values can have as much as 2 moa affect on accuracy.
You are dead on there. I made a kit similar to the Volquartsen Bedding System for a Ruger 10/22 for my Marlin XT-22MR. Before I installed the bedding I was hitting a 2" target every shot without fail at 100 yards. I had to reset the scope even though I used the same torque settings. The gun is back on target now.

The mud is going to have to dry out before I can shoot the gun enough to see if the bedding is an improvement. I was wearing a path in my pasture before I got the scope set.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

almost three years later ive finally got the savage 10 fcpsr to function correctly.

after all the hell ive been through getting this to run and the complete lack of support from savage i dont think i can recommend their products.

problems:
1. bent firing pin assembly
2. overtorqued barrel nut and action screws
3. burr in the chamber
4. short chamber

number 1 3 and 4 were the worse problems as they caused malfunctions jams locking the action solid and severe extraction issues. the overtorqued barrel nut caused extreme accuracy issues.

ive talked about 1 and 2 in previous posts. it was number three and 4 that has been a persistant problem. the chamber is too short that when headspaced the neck of a case trimmed to saami 2.800 would flow into the rifling and sometimes lock the bolt solid so it took a hammer to pound it open.

i finally figured out from closely examining cases there was a burr hanging up causing some sticky extractions. the stuck bolt problem persisted after lapping out the burr.

so i sharpied a case that was known to stick measured 2.800 and rifling marks transfered to the case...

my fix was to head space it on the go bolt closed make witness marks then headspace on nogo bolt closed make another witness mark. i then rotated the barrel out until the go minimum was half way between go and nogo.

we tested it this afternoon and the wife is ecstatic as its feeding extracting and shooting well. however it has gone from a half moa rifle to right at 1 moa from todays groupings.

she is happy with it so all im going to do now is re-time her surefire muzzlebrake for the suppressor so it will shoot correctly with the suppressor off.

if she didnt like this rifle i would have sold it years ago
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #15

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Jon,I understand your disgust with Savage,but a simple fix would've been just having the chamber reamed by a local gunsmith. It sure wouldn't cost much,and the rifle would've been fixed long ago.

I gave up on anyone's customer service years ago,and will just take matters in my own hands to get it fixed. It's usually cheaper in the long run,and a hell of a lot less headaches.
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Jon,I understand your disgust with Savage,but a simple fix would've been just having the chamber reamed by a local gunsmith. It sure wouldn't cost much,and the rifle would've been fixed long ago.

I gave up on anyone's customer service years ago,and will just take matters in my own hands to get it fixed. It's usually cheaper in the long run,and a hell of a lot less headaches.
it took a long time to even figure out what the problem was as it was seemingly intermittent. i didnt work on it every day trying to figure it out. it was only two weeks ago when i realized what it could be and then confirmed.

reaming it is still on the table and i prefer, at this point, to diy when i can. im also pretty much done with cs for pretty much any product.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

what really ticked me off was the savage rep telling me the fail to fire was me pulling the trigger wrong...

if your building ground up the savage system is pretty good. i just would never buy a pre-built rifle from them. i would source the barrel other than savage built.

Last edited by JonM; 08-24-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 08-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #18

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
what really ticked me off was the savage rep telling me the fail to fire was me pulling the trigger wrong...

if your building ground up the savage system is pretty good. i just would never buy a pre-built rifle from them. i would source the barrel other than savage built.
They are really good about telling people with an Accutrigger that,and sometimes they are right about it,but I know that wasn't your problem.

My Savage 10 FCP-308,12 FLVSS-223 have always been excellent rifles from the factory. The only one that gave me fits was my 110 FLP-25/06,and the barrel on that rifle shouldn't have ever gotten past any QC person. But I knew since I ordered a rifle that hadn't been produced in a couple years,that if I returned it to get rebarreled,the next one would probably be just as bad with tooling marks in the bore. So,I just took it on myself and got it to shoot excellent after hand lapping,and fire lapping the barrel.

I'm glad you figured out what the problem was,and you will get it all up to par for your wife before too long.
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
They are really good about telling people with an Accutrigger that,and sometimes they are right about it,but I know that wasn't your problem.

My Savage 10 FCP-308,12 FLVSS-223 have always been excellent rifles from the factory. The only one that gave me fits was my 110 FLP-25/06,and the barrel on that rifle shouldn't have ever gotten past any QC person. But I knew since I ordered a rifle that hadn't been produced in a couple years,that if I returned it to get rebarreled,the next one would probably be just as bad with tooling marks in the bore. So,I just took it on myself and got it to shoot excellent after hand lapping,and fire lapping the barrel.

I'm glad you figured out what the problem was,and you will get it all up to par for your wife before too long.
she was shooting right at 1inch 100yards yesterday in a rainstorm near 100% humidity. im trying to convince her to let me have the barrel cutback to 20" so she can shoot more before it heats up too much and be more easy for her to use in the brush with the suppressor on it.

she gave me a horrified look when i told her that cutting the barrel meant chopping off 4"...

Old 08-26-2014, 02:50 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Are you going to Duracoat the rifle yourself? I am going to do a couple rifles myself but am still in the research phase.