Satisfactory? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Satisfactory?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1505 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

We shoot handguns at 10 yards into a 6" square blank white paper. Rapid draw and empty the mag/cylinder. If 90% of the rounds are on paper, that, to me, is decent shooting.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #12

Liked 107 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default It is good, but don't quit there

There's a good thread in the Training section about 'Accuracy'. Essentially accuracy is defined by the problem. In short, a self-defense situation requires a different level of accuracy than a long range rifle match. Your criteria of 'hand sized' shot grouping is most sufficient for self-defense in most cases. This could change if your assailant is shooting at you from behind 'cover' and only a portion of his face is exposed.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I feel a defensive shooter must master the basics of sight alignment and trigger control prior to getting into more advanced levels of shooting - like shooting while moving and moving targets and such. (And I have no idea of your shooting ability overall, by the way.)

Also, one must learn to wring out the maximum level of accuracy from one's own sidearm and ammunition combination in a calm setting. Of course it will be different should anyone shoot at you, but under stress the average human being seldom does better with precise shooting than when calm. (Adrenaline helps raw strength, but hampers small motor skills and hand-eye coordination.)

But do not make the mistake of practicing the same drill over and over to the exclusion of all others. One can become very adept at one skill or drill, but not be able to handle another 'problem' at all.

Oh. Do not practice continuous strings of fire. It is the first shot that is most important; so practice drawing and firing one shot. Then reholster and try again. (Or from the ready if the range does not permit holster shooting.) But get the skill of fast target and sight acquisition for the FIRST shot. (Or point shooting, if you think that will be faster.) But get in the habit of making the first shot the money shot.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #13

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A 5" inch group fired on a sedate range can easily be a 20" group under stress. Trying shooting in some combat matches where the stress is applied to your scores.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

There's some good advice here. HOWEVER continuous strings of fire are very important to practice once you've got the basics down. You will have to continue shooting until you stop the threat, and you are responsible for every bullet that leaves the barrel of your gun.

Being able to place multiple rounds in your target while advancing on it or moving towards cover is a necessary skill in self defense shooting. Unfortunately most ranges won't let you practice things like that due to legitimate safety concerns.

If you've got consistent groups, you should start practicing reactive shooting, strings of fire and moving and shooting.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2296 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Did I miss it or did no one mention the 'time' factor here???
When training for 'combat' shooting you need to get your accuracy down then increase your 'speed' to the point you can still get good hits.
"As fast as you can, as slow as you have to"
7point62 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

When you are too old to run or fight you just have to stand there and shoot. Be wary of senior citizens.
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1505 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Did I miss it or did no one mention the 'time' factor here???
When training for 'combat' shooting you need to get your accuracy down then increase your 'speed' to the point you can still get good hits.
"As fast as you can, as slow as you have to"

Shooting against the clock is always a great drill.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 60

As 7.62 pointed out shooting against a clock can increase stress, for defensive shooting that is good. Try shooting "bowling pins" in a league, practical pistol is good. If you have no moving targets try moving your handgun across the target and squeezing as the gun comes across the target. Shoot in the AM and shoot in the twilight. Take up handgun hunting. An old gunsmith friend practiced by cutting squares out of 2X4 and throwing them into a fast moving creek (DNR might disapprove now days). Be sure to vary your targets.
For kicks , giggles, and grins a friend with a small CC class invited me to shoot too: 12 at 7 yds, 24 at 15yds., and 24 at 25 yds. I was not pleased and commented that my target looked like a shotgun hit it. He replied the worst was some "8"s. So, he was right- 53 were 9 or better.
It was windy and the temperature was an honest 4 degrees. I guess my lesson was it always won't be 72 and sunny. This weekend I used my 9 to shoot an opossum that wanted to share the wife's cats food.
Shoot often- shoot well.
JimRau Likes This 

Newest Threads