Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > S&W M&P 9c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default S&W M&P 9c

Took the new gun to the range today, put 50 rounds through her

1st 2 pics are the 1st 40 rounds, practiced shooting with both eyes open for the 1st time

3rd pic is the last 10 rounds, one eye closed aiming

All targets are at approx 25 ft.

img_0405.jpg   img_0406.jpg   img_0407.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Are you right handed Jason?? Has it been awhile since you have shot? This target might help.... Reverse if you are shooting left handed.

I would say, based on the holes in the targets, that your hand is not yet familiar with the grip of this pistol and that the trigger pull, and break, is still a bit of surprise.

Dry fire practice can definitely help that.

The good news is that when you closed one eye, your rounds were on target and enough to put a bad guy in the dirt.

Practice is the best bet to tighten those groups up and get your rounds on target.

Thank you for taking the time to write up and post.

JD

correction.jpg  

Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First time with a new gun. Outstanding!

Now do yourself a favor. The next trip to the range practice CQB (~4 meters) distance and closer.

Here's how this "NEW Stuff" works.

Success builds success! Get at least two Champion Police Silhouette Targets (I call them bottle targets because "Any where in the bottle stops them!")

champion_shooting_targer_police_silhouette_target.jpg

Start at ~2 meters (~7ft) and don't worry about the long rangers hitting targets at 50ft! You are now shooting at the range that ~45% of PD attacks occur. Shoot until you put them all in the bottle! When you get comfortable, try shooting with one hand and don't sight shoot, point shoot. Load the mag with only five rounds. This will give you additional practice with slide lock back, mag swap and reload to get back on target. (It also stretches out your ammo) DO NOT rush! Take your time, be deliberate and as the muscle memory builds, the times will drop off. Trust me!

Shoot a box or two, concentrate on hitting the bottle. Ignore the other shooters and do everything deliberately so you can review your routine as you go.

Do NOT stew about tight groups! I believe in multiple traumas to multiple systems. More holes in = more blood out! Lower the blood pressure and you stop the threat!

Next, set your second "bottle target" at ~4 meters (CQB or ~12.5 ft) and start over with the same drill as above. This distance is where ~50% of PD attacks occur.

Just remember you may have doubled the distance from your attacker BUT you have NOT doubled your time to react!!

Things happen way too fast to think when you are put into a PD situation. If you are going to carry, or just use the gun for home defense, you need to build this muscle memory to save your life.

Now if you bought the S&W M&P 9c for target/competition shooting just forget everything I said!

There's your Range Homework! Now get out there and make us proud!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-14-2009, 01:24 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Excellent post Cane^^^^^^^
Im gonna take some of that advice myself next training session!

Dr Jason nice write up and congrats on the new m&p.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 11-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

Dillinger: yes I am right handed......I am very new to shooting, only about 3 months of going about every other week to the gun shop to rent a gun and go through 50-100 rounds each time, while trying to figure out what I wanted to buy.....this was my 1st time with my own gun (2nd time shooting an M&P 9c).....I have seen that bullseye "chart" before and it is very helpful

Cane: Great advice, I will definitely do that stuff, I do need to check with the range at the gun shop I go to to see if I can put the target closer, but I am planning on joining a local gun club which will probably give me more opportunities to shoot.

Also, I am very lucky because S&W is about 45 min from my house and I have heard they have some great defensive handgun and CQ courses that I plan on taking.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
Cane: Great advice, I will definitely do that stuff, I do need to check with the range at the gun shop I go to to see if I can put the target closer, but I am planning on joining a local gun club which will probably give me more opportunities to shoot.
I bet it's an outdoor range. They usually don't allow close target placement because the short shooting radius sweeps other shooters targets.

Find a range that allows you to control the distance to target. ALL PD shooting is close and personal!

Shoot at distance for fun, shoot at "I can smell his bad breath distance" to live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
Also, I am very lucky because S&W is about 45 min from my house and I have heard they have some great defensive handgun and CQ courses that I plan on taking.
Training is an investment that pays great dividends!

You can buy things that can be broken, lost or stolen but training will be with you and pay dividends for life.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I bet it's an outdoor range. They usually don't allow close target placement because the short shooting radius sweeps other shooters targets.

Find a range that allows you to control the distance to target. ALL PD shooting is close and personal!

Shoot at distance for fun, shoot at "I can smell his bad breath distance" to live!
Actually the gun shop is an indoor range, they have preset distances of 25, 50 and 75 feet, but never really checked to see if I can set the target at closer distances.

The gun club also has an indoor range (along with an outdoor range) and I'm going there on Tuesday to check it out and put my application for membership it (it's super cheap to become a member and is literally 10 min from my house unlike the gun shop which is about 45 min away)

Old 11-15-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

That is great stuff there Cane. I am going to do that at my next Range visit. The best info is had right here. This place is the tops. I learn more everyday I visit. Awesome.