Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > S&W 686 .357 vs Ruger P90 .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try some Dry-Fire practice! That will allow you to work on stability and trigger control** without having to worry about recoil or the pressure blast.

I went from shooting in "feet" at 25 yards to 4" at 25 yards after a few months of dry fire practice a few minutes per day. What I did was put the front sight on a small target (so that it is easy to tell if you are getting off target)--I used a 1" diameter flashlight on a dresser about 5 yards down the hall (simulates a 10" target at 50 yards, and the front blade perfectly covers the light). Then, hold the front sight on the target and keep the pistol aligned with the target all the way through the hammer drop (or striker hit, heh). You will see how the gun moves as you pull the trigger, and will much more easily be able to determine what the gun is doing as it won't be moving on its own with recoil.

**Trigger control is easily the most important part of pistol marksmanship!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #12

Liked 125 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Try some Dry-Fire practice! That will allow you to work on stability and trigger control** without having to worry about recoil or the pressure blast.

I went from shooting in "feet" at 25 yards to 4" at 25 yards after a few months of dry fire practice a few minutes per day. What I did was put the front sight on a small target (so that it is easy to tell if you are getting off target)--I used a 1" diameter flashlight on a dresser about 5 yards down the hall (simulates a 10" target at 50 yards, and the front blade perfectly covers the light). Then, hold the front sight on the target and keep the pistol aligned with the target all the way through the hammer drop (or striker hit, heh). You will see how the gun moves as you pull the trigger, and will much more easily be able to determine what the gun is doing as it won't be moving on its own with recoil.

**Trigger control is easily the most important part of pistol marksmanship!
good idea, thanks for the extra tips...

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

To add to the challenge, balance a coin or a spent casing on top of the barrel and try to drop the hammer without disturbing the coin/casing.

Obviously, if you use the casing, you can't use the sights, so you'll have to do that separately. And if you use the coin on a gun with a flat top (like a Glock), it won't be challenging at all.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs