Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   S&W 686 .357 vs Ruger P90 .45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/s-w-686-357-vs-ruger-p90-45-a-23380/)

Mack Bolan 02-13-2010 03:40 PM

S&W 686 .357 vs Ruger P90 .45

2 Attachment(s)
here's my 1st crack at it with a .45 at 30' and another with the .357 at 30' also which i did get to shoot for the first time last week but this time my friend brought some hotter loaded rounds. the 357 has a leupold pistol scope on it too...
Attachment 10520
ruger P90 .45
Attachment 10521
S&W 686.357
i'm sure now I need to shoot at one of those shooting problem targets.....and i'm still getting acquainted with acquiring targets thru open pistol sights and being near sighted. But I love reading posts here on different shooting suggestions and then getting to go back out to the range to apply them where needed.

a 9mm and a 1911 are two more I definitely want to try out next:cool:

skullcrusher 02-13-2010 04:18 PM

Practice, practice, practice. With more range time, you will see those groupings start to get tighter and tighter. :D

Correction Target

That is for right hand shooters. Flip on the vertical axis for lefty. :)

CA357 02-13-2010 05:24 PM

Everyone starts somewhere. Keep up the practice and keep an open mind. Like anything else, practice is the key.

Gojubrian 02-14-2010 05:29 PM

You're on paper!! Good job!

spittinfire 02-14-2010 07:41 PM

Looks like dead bad guys to me. Give it some time and some practice like you've stated and you'll see them tighten up.

canebrake 02-14-2010 07:57 PM

You don't actually shoot the hit analysis targets, you just use them to evaluate your problem.

My evaluation would be a hit analysis target won't be much use to you. Looks like your issue is just because you're a new shooter using different guns.

The thing you need to do is find a gun that feels "right" when you hold it and once that decision is made, come back and we can get you started on becoming a 10 ring shooter!

lonyaeger 02-14-2010 09:25 PM

Looks fine to me, not much analysis really required. You put the hurtin' on the target!

I might recommend that you start at seven yards instead of the ten and go progressively further out as your skills improve. :)

MotorG20 02-15-2010 04:19 AM

I've been shooting handguns for a number of years and am a pretty good shot sitting with my hand rested. But boy oh boy, when I first started shooting standing up, after getting used to rested shooting, my hands were shaking unreal. I've been practicing standing a lot more this past year and am getting much better. I've also found that working my hands with one of those spring hand squeezers (I don't know the official name) has really strengthend my hands and gives me a steadier hold.
I also agree, find a gun that fits your hand well, and practice, practice, practice :D Is there anything funner??? Well, I think I know the answer I'll get to that question:o.

MotorG20

skullcrusher 02-15-2010 04:46 AM

Mack, I wanted to add a huge "great job" of posting HONEST and REAL target pics in your range report. *mad respect*

That is what this thread is supposed to be used for. Honesty gets you a long way with the members here at FTF. Lots of times when you look at "other" place's target pics, you see nothing but a holed out bull. Not real nor honest.

Other members who want to post here should take that into account here on FTF. No one will berate you for an honest report and many can sniff out a BS report. Nobody should feel embarassed to post their report here. You will get farther here and gain more respect among members with an honest range report than some uber-sniper report. :)

Mack Bolan 02-15-2010 02:14 PM

first off, thanks to all for the encouragement and advice. I will keep at it gentlemen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 230385)
You don't actually shoot the hit analysis targets, you just use them to evaluate your problem.

My evaluation would be a hit analysis target won't be much use to you. Looks like your issue is just because you're a new shooter using different guns.

The thing you need to do is find a gun that feels "right" when you hold it and once that decision is made, come back and we can get you started on becoming a 10 ring shooter!

though i did all ready make a few enlarged 11x17 copies of that correction bullseye, you've at least saved me the embarrassment of sending one 25' down range...:)

interesting point too, Skullcrusher, as that phenomena of dishonesty seems to permeate all sports, and especially when discussed on the web, but why people waste their time doing that is beyond me.
I've read through quite a bit on this forum and have never felt like the honest feedback here was berating (sarcasm and a lil fun aside) either, just plain honest.

one enginerd thought in my head was to tape a laser sight to a 5lb dumbell and practice holding it steady on the wall;)