S&w 1911pd 5"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > S&w 1911pd 5"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Default S&w 1911pd 5"

Bud's finally got my long awaited 1911 to my LGS yesterday and fortunately I had a few hours to put some lead down range. Actual gun is still in NJ lockup until my permits clear but the range will hold the gun and let me use it whenever I want...sort of a long term rental arrangement. Works for me and eliminates the hassle of transporting it.

I am posting some stock pics of the actual model below:

Gun comes complete with standard S&W blue case, bushing wrench, lock and 2 matte black Novak 8 rnd mags.

Being my first venture into 1911s I do not have a lot to compare it with but my first impressions are that the fit and finish are excellent quality. Not sure if the claimed 29oz weight is accurate but even I can tell that it is noticably lighter than the Kimber and Springer models I have held, mostly due to the scandium alloy frame used in this model. Grip and balance feel great and the checkering on the grips and MSH allow a really good purchase. Grip width is narrower than the other hi-cap pistol that I have but I imagine a curved MSH at some future point will help there.

Shooting experience was nothing short of awesome, put 100 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ through her with 1 minor FTF on the 1st round from the 2nd mag...chalk that one up to newness...no further mechanical issues at all. The Novak sights are again different than the Trijcon night sights on my other guns but they do get a sight picture extremely fast and I was hitting good groups on the 3rd or 4th mag. Recoil was smooth and controlled as it should be on a 1911 and the front sight dropped right down on target as expected. Trigger pull was smooth and tight, no sloppy uptake. Reset was crisp and the shots broke clean. Don't have a way to measure trigger weight but it was definitely lighter than my XD and XDm, best estimate would be between 4-5 lbs.

Target below were both shot at 7 - 8 yards and are a mix of slow single, quick string and double tap shots. Was not shooting for total accuracy so there are several flyers but all things considered damn accurate for an out of the box 1911's first 100.

Got to put 100 rnd through the XDm as well...will post a report in another thread as time allows.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-24-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Very nice! Excellent report, brother.

Dead bad guys all day right there.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Why did you kill a snowman?

Cool beans, congrats.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Snowpeople are evil!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Some men just need killin'

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-24-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #6

Here are the pics for the XDm .45ACP range report. Ammo was 230gr WWB FMJ same as above. Only had 1 target left so it got kind of ratty looking after 100 rounds but you get the idea. Can't say that the XDm felt or shot any better than my .40 S&W XD...other than the difference in recoil between the 2 calibers. Very light and well balanced feel to the XDm, ate every round without a hint of FTF or FTE. Trigger feels a bit cleaner than the XD, reset is shorter but not sure that means a whole lot. Most noted difference to me was the grip configuration and the differences in the stippling between the XDm and the XD. Haven't swapped out the back straps yet to see if a different width affects accuracy or grip.

100 rounds .45ACP 230gr FMJ at 7-8 yds. Double taps, single shots and 10 round strings...

Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #7

Congrats bruh

Old 05-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #8

Well got the call today that I have been waiting weeks for..."Mr Pyle, this is Detective Sergeant Brown...your pistol permits are ready for pickup."

Woo Hoo!!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to negotiate this 1 gun a month rule...and get 3 guns out of HAQ with permits that expire in 90 days...

Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats; Can't wait to see pics of your new 1911

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #10

Default New arrival....

She's home, cleaned up and resting comfortably...pics are a bit overexposed and don't do it justice...

One question, I know I know here we go already...the guide rod holder thingy that is held in place by the barrel bushing, see I know that one, is open on the end because of the full length guide rod. Problem is it has a rim that is sharp as hell and makes it difficult to remove the spring. Are there replacement parts available...what are my options here? Pictures below but they are kinda blurry.

and yes I did manage to field strip it for the first time with no idiot scratch...also what benefits would a rounded MSH provide?