Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ruger SR1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
Glad to see some report on this particular firearm. I have been thinking of purchasing a gun with a larger load than my SR9 and... well... the .45 is what a MAN shoots right? I have always been intrigued with the 1911 but to tell the truth at first I thought they were ugly... They look large and cumbersome but after handling a number of them they begin to feel like an extension of the shooter and their inner beauty shines through. I also like the more affordable ticket price offered on this weapon as opposed to some of its competition...
I'd say it would be a good starter 1911 but i'm certainly not gonna say it's the last one i'm gonna buy. Once i get my confidence with the platform/round up i will probably look into a Colt/S&W or maybe even a Springfield. Never really considered a Kimber as IMO they are too hyped up by fan boys. Some may say thats a bad reason to not consider but thats just the way i am, i avoid fan boys like the plague. Now there are fan boys of every gun maker BUT some ALOT less than others.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 08-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
I'd say it would be a good starter 1911 but i'm certainly not gonna say it's the last one i'm gonna buy. Once i get my confidence with the platform/round up i will probably look into a Colt/S&W or maybe even a Springfield. Never really considered a Kimber as IMO they are too hyped up by fan boys. Some may say thats a bad reason to not consider but thats just the way i am, i avoid fan boys like the plague. Now there are fan boys of every gun maker BUT some ALOT less than others.
I've got a SA mil-spec 1911A1 - love it!
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Everything I've heard, seen, and read about this firearm is great stuff. Unfortunately, these are still very scarce in my hometown. I'll be having to wait to add one to my collection. Nice report btw..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
Everything I've heard, seen, and read about this firearm is great stuff. Unfortunately, these are still very scarce in my hometown. I'll be having to wait to add one to my collection. Nice report btw..
Thanks man, just trying to give something back for all the help received during my AR build. As for availability they are pretty scarce around here too. I literally got lucky as I was in Gander picking some ammo the morning they got nine of them in. I put it on layaway without flinching. Those nine were sold out within two hours the guy was telling me when I made my first payment haha.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Thanks man, just trying to give something back for all the help received during my AR build. As for availability they are pretty scarce around here too. I literally got lucky as I was in Gander picking some ammo the morning they got nine of them in. I put it on layaway without flinching. Those nine were sold out within two hours the guy was telling me when I made my first payment haha.
Pretty much the way it works here at my local shop however when they get something in that is a hot item like this one, they tend to pull their policy on lay-away. This makes it even harder on us to catch them when they come in.

Gratz again to ya for getting one. Ruger did it right when they made this gun. Good price and very well made. Taurus is not even close in my opinion.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Taurus is not even close in my opinion.
I actually looked at getting a Taurus before the Ruger came out. The guy at Gander was telling me S&W sold them all their tooling so it was "basically" a S&W. I have a Taurus PT92 which is another gun that Taurus purchased the old Beretta factory in Brazil with all the tooling. But i can tell ya they are close BUT not the same. I purchased a Beretta 92 Blackhawk serpa holster and it fits but the trigger guard must be just a little thicker as the lock will not engage. I do know i can drop a Beretta barrel in though.

I got lucky with my PT92 as it has been nothing but reliable but after reading all the hit or miss stats of Taurus i will not be trying my luck with them again.Really sucks cuz their prices are really reasonable but oh well.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

How much was it? Are they going for full retail?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 08-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #18

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Now I'm thinking about getting one of these for my first 1911. Thanks for the range report.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
How much was it? Are they going for full retail?
I got mine for 750 OTD

Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

My neighbor bought one. He loves it. I shot it. I like it. Functioned flawlessly as one would expect of a Ruger.

If I were in the market for yet another 1911....this is where I'd spend my money.

The last 1911 I bought was the new Remington. Wouldn't feed a whole magazine without a FTF or FTE. After throating, polishing, new extractor, then a new ejector, it still won't run. POS.

Go Ruger!