Ruger P90
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ruger P90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ruger P90

I found a like new Ruger P90 yesterday for 350$ in the box with the extras such as the extra magazine, mag loader, book, etc. Before I even left the store I swapped out the factory plastic grips for a set of Hogue rubber grips. Even with the wraparound Hogue grips on it, the grip was still slightly small for my large paws. Upon arriving home with it I stripped it down for a better inspection. I STILL couldn't tell it had been shot in any way whatsoever. I oiled it down when I reassembled it.

The double action trigger pull was slightly lighter than what I expected, not stacking as much as I remember Ruger P series usually do, but still typical of conventional double action triggers. The single action trigger pull had about a mile of takeup but once engaged broke clean at around 4 pounds with no overtravel. It's the safety model so it decocks and left in the safe position bypasses the connector. I can't imagine a need for the safety however once it's decocked except perhaps around kids. I'm going to pack it in my truck with it decocked and full with 1 in the pipe. That means the 1st shot will be double action but following shots will be single action.

On to my backyard range. I tested it at 12 yards and 25 yards. At 12 yards it was no problem hitting 3.5" auto reset steel targets at a controlled, rapid rate of fire with WW white box FMJs. It shot slightly above point of aim which is perfect for using 6:00 hold on the target. I experienced NO malfunctions with this pistol whatsoever. Stepping back to 25 yards, slow fire non rested groups ranged from 3.5" to 5" depending on the ammo used. At 25 yards it was still possible to nail the auto reset targets the majority of the time with slow, well aimed fire. At 25 yards it prints about 2" high, which is perfect for me.

I don't have pics at this time but you see 1 Ruger P series (P90)-you've seen them all. I'm going to add adjustable sights to it and tighten the slide/frame fit and see how it does then. In closing I can totally recommend this gun for a budget/truck gun as it was boringly reliable with everything I fed it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Nice Range Report Bear. Thanks for taking the time.

You said the single action trigger pull had a mile of travel in it. Do you plan on making adjustments to it?

Looking forward to some range targets when you get a chance.

JD

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Glad to hear you like it.

Very well written report, and I am awaiting pics as well.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Great report! I've not heard anything bad about ruger p-series. For the money you just can't beat them.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Had a Ruger P89 for many years. Kind of big & chunky but built like a tank and very reliable with any ammo. Finally traded for something but the Ruger P series are uber-reliable guns...

Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not going to do anything to the trigger because all that pretravel in single action is necessary for the double action pull. Besides it's just a truck gun.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!