Ruger LCP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ruger LCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5741 Times on 3000 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Default Ruger LCP

finally got to shoot my little LCP today.

normally i dont care for handguns this small but i do have a need for discrete carry at times and this really fills that role well. i would prefer the bersa its just a much better gun but its too big for discrete pocket carry.

while i do understand the need for a heavier trigger in a pocket gun i think ruger should have went with a trigger closer to the lcr in pull weight. the laser is totally useless and the only reason im keeping it is to help breakup the outline.

sights are zeroed for 15yards so its shooting low at close defensive ranges if your using the sights

ammo was winchester 95grain white box

this is thirteen rounds aimed slow fire at 6 yards (typical SD range), poa is the black dot

this group was one hand at 10 yards. 13 rounds (two mags +1 in the chamber) the poa is the red dot. most of the shots came up some so at 15 it would be spot on.

the major negative with this gun is the extremely slow rate of fire as there is a huge issue with the long heavy trigger pull. yank it fast and your not hitting anything. it requires a slow deliberate pull and this is not conducive to rapid hits.

the lcp has a lot of great ideas and is a great concept but ruger should have either had a smoother lighter pull or a true DA action. this relegates the lcp to a last resort type gun if you cant easily carry anything better or better designed.

for what it is ill give it a B+ its a reliable accurate little gun but the trigger and slow rate of accurate fire make it a gun i only want to carry in rare circumstance where something better like my springfield xdm compact 45 or bersa thunder 380 cant be used.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

dog2000tj Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

swmbo has been carrying mine lately, so i made her shoot it today... she thinks she hit the wood frame

Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

its efinately not a gun i would recomend to someone without a lot of experience shooting handguns

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #4

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

I just traded into one of these this week. Mine has the Crimson Trace laser. I found it to also be hard to zero, and even once it was zeroed I got better groups with the iron sights. I think they could have improved the trigger considerably by moving it further forward. The pull seems so long, because it is almost all the way back when it breaks, and tha tpoing is kind of unnaturally close to the heel of the hand. I have a Beretta 21A that is actually about identical in size, but the trigger seems much more manageable and comfortable because it is placed further forward to a more natural position.

That's the little Beretta sitting on top of my LCP

Old 09-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

is that a 380 or a 25acp??

Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
is that a 380 or a 25acp??
That is a .22LR. Just illustrating the trigger reach difference. It's much more ergonomic than the LCP, but obviously has a power disadvantage.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 78

imho the lcp is a pos . sights? from 5 ft its ok but after that good luck the lc9 at least has a real rear sight for the money i will take a little more size and stay with a small frame wheel gun

Old 09-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I wouldnt call it a pos. Its a great gun for its intended use. Extremely small discrete carry. As a everyday when discretion isnt as important its not the best choice at all. Most of the time i carry a 13+1 45acp springfield compact xdm, there a some times and places where the risk of armed encoumters is low and discretion in printing while still being armed is more important and for that the lcp is a superb handgun.

Its not one i want to shoot on a regular basis thats for sure.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

That was actually the second handgun I ever shot. Other than being kinda snappy with a bad trigger it wasn't all that bad to shoot. But The first one I shot was a S&W Sigma so I was not allowed to be spoiled by good triggers yet.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Good report on the lcp. I've never been a fan of little belly busters and based on your report won't be getting one, but I can see their use as a back up or ankle gun.