Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ruger LCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
cbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger LCP

Well after waiting since October of 2008 I finally got my hand on a LCP. I took her too the range yesterday and put 86 rounds through her. It's a fun gun to shoot and accurate for it's size. Since the range was closed the night I got her I tore her down a few times. I have never seen a new gun with so much oil inside of it. It came in a plastic bag with oil coating pretty much everything. I wiped the outside down, but left the internals alone prior to shooting. Field stripping her is easy but you do have to use a small screwdriver or knife blade to pull out the pin to break the breech free. This bothers me as I do not want to scratch the little sucker. As a member to the Else Pee site I cannot believe how many LCP owners are changing these little guns immediately after getting them. New springs, polishing feed ramps, filling on internal part to make them look better etc....
I figure the guys who make these probably have a good idea on how to make a gun, so if it's not broke don't fix it.

The only issue I had was that the initial cartridge feed jammed if you didn't allow the breech to slap out of your fingers and do it's thing. I blame myself for this, as once I go used to letting her go there was no issue. It's so small using two hands to shoot her is not necessary, there is not that much kick from the 380 and the sites are so small it's just a point and fire gun anyway.

Pictures are from 20', 30', 15', and 20' as you scroll through them. realize that I have nerve damage in my legs and arms, no balance, and I shake so all in all she will get the job done if the need be. I'm very happy with her. Oh yeah I was using Winchester 95GR FMJ

380 ammo is really hard to come by (just like all others WTF) and I had to save the rest of the box the load the two clips I have for her. Yeah someone will do the math and I will have a spare bullet as she will hold one in the chamber and 6 in the clip.

The only thing that I can think of that would make this little pistol better would be if the breech stayed open when she is empty, it does not. It's also a little strange for me not to have any hammer control as it's visible but internal. Once you have one racked in the chamber, your good to carry, the trigger pull is long and at 8lbs a little hard but I guess that keeps it safe. Great little pocket gun.

dscn2431.jpg   lcp-1st-shots-20-feet.jpg   lcp-2nd-round-30-feet.jpg   lcp-3rd-round-15-feet.jpg   lcp-final-round.jpg  

[The odds are always 50/50

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I sold a LCP to a law enforcement officer as an off-duty firearm. He brought it to the range and although the hollow-point ammunition jammed, the jacketed ammo cycled fine. I was out policing the range when he was shooting and at seven yards he was putting some pretty tight groups in the forehead of a Center Fire Defender target. He handed me a full magazine and I must admit I was initially impressed with the way the firearm handled.

The LEO brought the LCP back in last week and to his dismay no clicky no boomie. The sear was not engaging after 200 rounds fired and I'm sending it back to Ruger. The officer now wants to trade the LCP in on another firearm because he has lost faith in it, and I don't blame him. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
cbw

Well Joe if he had issues with the gun I don't blame him for getting rid of it. Was it a pre-recall? If I have issues Ill let the group know. There must be other LCP owners on the site, lets here about them! Good or bad, I can take it!

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cbw, the Leo purchased this firearm with-in the last month, and these LCPs have been selling, up to now, as fast as we can get them. I hope that this was an isolated incident.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #5

I've recently bought a LCP and took it to the range. I had no problems at all. It loaded, shot, extracted and ejected every round. Although all the ammo I had was a couple of boxes of Fiocchi FMJ and a box of Hornady CD. I couldn't find any more ammo around here.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a new LCP and really like carrying it. I can't tell how reliable it is as I only have one box of ammo and can't find any more. I have ordered a couple of boxes from Cabalas and it is on back order. I am anxious to try them out and see how they do. That will also allow me to shoot the rest of the FMJ box I have.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've not had the 1st problem with my LCP-either before or after the recall. I did throat it just to be on the safe side. I've got several hundred rounds through mine so far, and keep it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!