Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ricochets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This thread is why I get bent out of shape when morons at my range bring bowling trophies, ceramic coffee mugs and other hard object to use as targets.

Never shoot at anything which can shoot back. Especially if you're sharing the range with me.

A friend of mine shot an Uzi at a local indoor range many years ago. Several 9mm slugs came back at them after bouncing off the back wall.

NRA Life Member

Old 08-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I have been hit 13 times by ricochets. All were outdoor ranges and steel pepper poppers. 12 bullets caught by body armor. 1 broke the skin and ruined a brand new shirt with a hole and blood stains. I was able to self extract the bullet and finish the day. I looked pretty scary, though (scarier than usual).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've taken a couple of pieces to the face and the neck, both easily large enough and with enough velocity to wreck an eyeball. First one was in the chin, and still hot enough to burn my fingers when I pulled it out, and the other went into the back of my neck while I was picking up a target. There are always bullet fragments at the firing line at the range where I shoot, and some are scary-big. Eye protection is an absolute must.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #14

Default Ricochets

I appreciate all the comments here. Until this past March, I hadn't touched a firearm since I returned from Viet Nam in 1970. So far, I've used the same indoor range when I shoot and I was wondering if ricochets were common (which I figured they were) or if the range I was using was sub-standard. Doesn't appear to be, so that's good to know. I wear eye protection, even over my regular glasses, but the stories here only reinforce the necessity of doing so. Good stuff, all.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I learned the hard way not to shoot at hard targets. My father and I were test firing his .357 Magnum and I'd gotten him some UMC hollow points so I found a rusty old pipe to lean against a tree and shoot at. The first couple of times it went right through but before he ran out of all six shots dad started jumping and trying to keep from cursing like a sailor. Several of the fragments came back at us and got me in the arm one good time and two in his knee. Mine didnt draw blood but we had to pick his out before mom found out.
Needless to say we all wear glasses now when we're shooting.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
As RO in a competition, steel pepper poppers, a jacket bounced back and almost hit "the boys". Had me talking in a higher pitch for awhile, and caused a stage change
I've taken quite a few frags from poppers since I started shooting uspsa a few months ago. Never when I was shooting, just standing waiting my turn or loading mags. Nothing hard enough to leave a mark(or make me talk funny), but it shows the importance of wearing safety glasses all the time.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down