Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ricochets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ricochets

I shoot an an indoor range and the last time I went, I was hit in the chest by a spent, but pretty much a full size slug. It hit hard enough to hurt a bit, but not enough to break the skin or leave a red spot. I've had very small pieces of spent shell land on my shooting stand or hit me a couple of times before, but nothing like this. Until this past March, I hadn't fired a weapon of any kind since I left Viet Nam in 1970, so basically I'm new to indoor shooting. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience or might have any comments about mine. Thanks.

Edward

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #2

I once found a unfired 12 Gauge shell while posting targets for my ,22, so I wedged it into a tree branch, shot at it and guess what I actually hit it and the empty shell hit me in the forehead.
No damage done . Scared the crap out of me though!
Go to the introductions thread and let us all know about yourself, I for one admire Veterans!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #3

Liked 7550 Times on 3286 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

While you should not get "bouncebacks" on a properly designed and maintained range, ca-ca happens. Which is why eye protection is a REAL good idea. Yes, I have been hit by fragments of jacket metal, etc. Yes, i wear glasses. BTW, Harbor Freight had plastic lens shooting glasses on sale for about $1.98 last week.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #4

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I was a kid (10 years old) my Dad took my sister and I shooting. He picked out a white object about 50 yards away and told me to hit it. I did, it was a piece of rock, the ricochet buzzed over our heads and Dad said; "OK, kids! It's time to go."

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #5

Liked 358 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 59

check that out

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

There is only one indoor range in my area that I know of and you have to use (his) frangible ammo.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #7

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 54

About a month ago i went up to a gravel pitt to shoot and when i arrived there was a dish washer that had already been shot up so what better target right? the first round out my XD 9 sent a couple pieces of washer plastic right into my face that cut me up a bit and i was a good 10 to 15 yards away, does that count?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I was at an indoor range some time ago. The guy next to me, hit the target, then the back wall and the bullet ricochet hit the light above his head and broke the floursecent bulb.

I was stunned.

The really bad part was that the range charged him for the replacement bulb. I didnt think that was right, considering that he didnt do anything that was negligent.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Retired

Liked 2270 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1059

As RO in a competition, steel pepper poppers, a jacket bounced back and almost hit "the boys". Had me talking in a higher pitch for awhile, and caused a stage change

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
When I was a kid (10 years old) my Dad took my sister and I shooting. He picked out a white object about 50 yards away and told me to hit it. I did, it was a piece of rock, the ricochet buzzed over our heads and Dad said; "OK, kids! It's time to go."
That is funny Guy!
I remember learning just how important protective eyewear is when as a dumb kid I caught a ricochet in the corner of my eye whilst target shooting at an old engine block... No harm done, just one of many easy-going messages I have received in my years