RIA ran perfect but not my ar

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > RIA ran perfect but not my ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So, I just finished installing and fitting a few parts to the Rock Island MS of mine. I refit the beavertail and trigger, installed a new disconnector, fit a new sear, used a "mainspring housing rebuild kit" and also changed out the recoil and firing pin spring, with a Wolf 23 LB recoil spring. I trimmed down the reverse spring plug to be flush with the slide, and swapped the full length guide rod for a gi guide rod. While there was not much of a change in balance, I prefer it with the gi rod instead, and disassembly is a breeze.
I also changed out the firing pin although I've retained the spare parts "just in case." I plan to change the slide stop, and perhaps the barrel and ejector, in a few weeks. The barrel lugs are cut unevenly and when locked in battery you can press it down a couple hairs.
It ran perfectly on the tulammo and PDX1s, obviously the pdx1s a little tougher recoiling, but with the new recoil spring, I experienced a lot less felt recoil, and I was very pleased with the performance of the work I had done on it.

At about 75 yards, I was hitting point of aim give or take a few inches, with the irons, and at this point in time, it has no optics.
It is extremely picky about ammo, and until I can get that sorted out, I don't want to waste the Black Hills stuff I have on it.
It's a daniel defense chrome-lined 1 in 7 barrel, with a carbine gas port. I'm running it with a milspec reciever extension, and a heavy buffer, full auto bolt carrier, the works.
On wolf and tulammo, it completely shortstrokes, without sticky extraction or anything, and ejects the spent round without going far enough back to chamber the next round, or lock the bolt back.
Should i swap it to a regular buffer? It runs fine on 5.56(which it's chambered for), and i've read around that DD drills the gas port a little underspec on their carbine barrels to reduce recoil impulse.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Last edited by pagj17; 10-30-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What???!!! No Pictures. You know what they say.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #3

The rock island, in all it's purtyness.
forumrunner_20111031_181418.jpg

And my ar. I just swapped out buffers and I'll probably run back to the "range" for a few more rounds next week. I'm thinking the different buffer will fix the problem.

forumrunner_20111031_181443.jpg

Old 11-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

are those your tighty whiteys next to the AR on the floor??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #5

Lol no, walmart bag:P

Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #6

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

My DCM always short stroked w/ Wolf ammo. Never had an issue w/ commercal U.S. or Milsurp ammo.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My DD, BCM actually any AR I own or have owned has functioned perfectly w/ Tula 62gr HP. Even w/ the VLTOR A5 extension and buffer system, Spikes T2, or H2. I'm talking cases stacked up nicely in a medium sized pile.

Originaly I threw a couple H buffers in the bottom of my range bag worried that the Tula would cause malfunctions but it's been GTG through a couple/3 cases of ammo.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
My DD, BCM actually any AR I own or have owned has functioned perfectly w/ Tula 62gr HP. Even w/ the VLTOR A5 extension and buffer system, Spikes T2, or H2. I'm talking cases stacked up nicely in a medium sized pile.

Originaly I threw a couple H buffers in the bottom of my range bag worried that the Tula would cause malfunctions but it's been GTG through a couple/3 cases of ammo.
Thanks MJ. I'm going to try it with the Regular buffer and if that doesn't solve the problem, I'll shoot an email to DD.
I think it's just a combo of the BCM BCG, heavy buffer, and "underpowered" tulammo. Like I said, it was barely short stroking.( and yes it was well lubed)
I know their customer service is top notch, but If I pull that barrel off, I know I'm going to end up paying them to mill the front sight notches in and make it into a regular M4gery, except with MOE instead of standard handguards