Remington 870 (will add pics later!)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Remington 870 (will add pics later!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Remington 870 (will add pics later!)

I just came back from trying out my new shotgun (my first one!), I'm in love with this thing. I don't know how I managed to live without one for so long.

The range was empty so I felt very relaxed, I was a bit afraid of being really bad, and the instructor on call was quite helpful. He pointed out a few mistakes without interrupting me too much.

I shot a box of cheap birdshot (#7) just to get a feel for the gun at some IPSC type targets at 5, 10 and 15 meters. I expected much stronger recoil from a 3" 12 gauge, it was actually quite pleasent and I was able to shoot fast (by my newbie standards, mind you).

Then I switched over to 00 Buckshot, which I think will be my main defensive ammo, and tried a few drills the instructor taught me. The spread pattern at 10 meters was quite reasuring. At 5 meters it made me burst into diabolical laughter.

Then I tried some rifled slugs at 20 meters, I only had a box of five but I'm pretty pleased with the group I got considering it was the first time I've ever tried this. I found slug shooting to be the most enjoyable, I don't know why but punching those big holes in the target just made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

The gun had no malfunctions, I'm leaving the factory stock and forend alone, they both work well and feel comfortable. The only thing I might change in the near future is the front sight, I was thinking about something easier to pick up fast than the small white dot it's got now.

I didn't take pics of the targets I shot with birdshot or buckshot because they were just shredded to pieces. I did take the target I shot with slugs with me and I'll photograph it tonight when I get home.

What a great way to start the day!

And as an added bonus, when I got to the office this cute blonde I work with asked me what was in my range bag. I told her I'd just been at the range and she insisted on me showing her my guns and how they work. There's just something about a pretty lady cycling a pump action...

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Awesome, Francisco. Welcome to the club.

Forget the pics of the target, I want pics of the cute blonde. Maybe ask her on a date to the range.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours!! Great way to get aquainted!!

Good choice, you'll enjoy the 870! And why aren't there any pics........of the cute blond yet??

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Forget the pics of the target, I want pics of the cute blonde. Maybe ask her on a date to the range.
She would be the perfect woman if it weren't for a tiny, little detail: she likes the ladies as much as I do. Still, she's a great friend to hang out with and she might eventually see the error of her ways.

Here's the target with my first five slugs ever:

It's at 20 meters, I hit a bit lower than I was aiming but it should still ruin a home invader's day.

I need to get some more dummy rounds so I can practice reloading and general handling. The only "malfunction" (i.e. operator error) I had was because I didn't push the last shell I loaded all the way in so the carrier didn't return to it's proper position.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That would be a seriously hurting BG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
She would be the perfect woman if it weren't for a tiny, little detail: she likes the ladies as much as I do. Still, she's a great friend to hang out with and she might eventually see the error of her ways.

Francisco - Read this Thread
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f61/drinks-wanting-try-something-11136/
get some and have her invite a friend!

And get some pics posted so we can validate the "cute" thing!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 10-21-2009 at 11:03 PM.